Coghlan's Reflective Guy Line

A 50' length of reflective 2mm cord which can be cut…

Summary

A 50' length of reflective 2mm cord which can be cut up to make guy lines or used full length as a ridge line or for a bear hang. Includes a small biner.

Pros

• Cheap
  • Strong
  • Reflective
  • Comes with a small biner

Cons

• Only comes in yellow

DSC02305a.jpg
What you see is what you get with the Coghlan's Reflective Guy Line; A 50' coil of 2mm line that has reflective threads woven in. It also comes with a small biner with a wire gate. While the label says Guy Line and it could be cut into lengths usable for that purpose, it can be used full length to hang a lightweight bear bag or as a shelter ridge line.

DSC02356a.jpg
I purchased this line after scouting out this tent site deep in the back country of Baxter State Park for a planned family trip. Measuring the distance between the few available trees I found that my 30' Dutchware ridge line wasn't going to cut it. I'd been planning on buying a length of Zing-It or similar when I came across this Coghlan's product at Reny's and grabbed the two they had on the shelf since the price was right.

DSC02768a.jpg
I think they included the biner intending it to be used to hang the coil of line on your pack, but I have found it useful tied to one end of the line which lets you quickly wrap around a tree and clip on to the line. The other end just gets wrapped around a tree on the other side of camp and tied off.

After using these lines throughout the summer and fall I feel I've already gotten my monies worth out of my purchase and other than a little pine sap on one of them they show little or no signs of use. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get several more years out of these things which is why I've rated them highly.

A cheap item that serves its purpose and has to be disposed is good enough, but one that keeps on delivering despite not costing much is always appreciated more. Coghlan's Reflective Guy Line lives up to its reputation and I can totally recommend this product to others.

Nice review, LoneStranger, and nice find at Reny's.