Coghlan's Water-Based Seam Seal

Bought this seam sealer because I do things on the…

Bought this seam sealer because I do things on the cheaper side. Within the first year it was pealing off. Plus it dried white in color. I applied it to a newer tent that never leaked. So I can't say how good it worked. But pealing off within the first year turned me off. I'll keep making my own seam sealer!

Works well I have used this with success on nylon…

Summary

Works well

Pros

• Water based
  • Soaks into thread stitching

Cons

• Not a hermetic seal

I have used this with success on nylon tent floor perimeter seams and rainfly seam.  Neither were reinforced with tape and this has lasted over 8 years, 8-16 days, 4 seasons per year without reapplication.

I have just applied to the opposite side of taped seams of a new tent.  This works well as it saturates the thread and seals the stitched holes.

This comes with a push to open top with brush attached.  Application is easy, shake before use, invert, lightly squeeze bottle to saturate the brush and apply.  It goes on clear in a thin coat that dries to invisible.

It will not provide a seal that will hold water as a taped seam does, but it will protect from driven rain and snow.  It stops the weeping that can occur where a sewing needle pierces the fabric.