Coghlan's Water Filter

This is a tuff one. I'm going to start with Customer…

This is a tuff one. I'm going to start with Customer Service.

The unit failed after 7 uses. The bottom of the filter loosened, how long it had been like that I have know idea. It's a good thing that I do most my backpacking near clean water sources. The NFS told me I should filter. The day after I got home I messaged Coghlan's about the problem. Here is the response that I got the next day;

"Dear Mike,
I'm sorry to hear that your water filter failed after only 6 or 7 uses. We have been selling the water filter kit and replacement filters since 1988 and I rarely (if ever) receive any complaints.
I will send you a replacement by parcel post to the address below."

Five days later I received a new filter. I didn't expect such Costumer Service from them. And I don't think that they would be selling anything this important that would fail. So I believe that this is rare for this filter to fail this way.

So on to the rest of the review. The filter is light weight 6 oz, all plastic construction. There are no O-rings to wear out. A very simple designed ball-type pump, very little can go wrong with it. The Filter is positively sealed that filters down to 2 micron. And is said to filter 400 quarts. I have using this replacement filter for 2 seasons without any issue. So I figure that the first filter was a fluke.

I would recommend this filter for cleaner water sources. If traveling into more polluted areas bring the tablets too. For my trips, it works great. And I get clean clear water to drink at every stop. Plus Customer Service like this is rare.

Coghlan's Water Filter

The Water Filter has been discontinued.

The Coghlan's Water Filter is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 16, 2016 at REI.

If you're looking for a new pump/gravity water filter, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016