This is a tuff one. I'm going to start with Customer…

This is a tuff one. I'm going to start with Customer Service.

The unit failed after 7 uses. The bottom of the filter loosened, how long it had been like that I have know idea. It's a good thing that I do most my backpacking near clean water sources. The NFS told me I should filter. The day after I got home I messaged Coghlan's about the problem. Here is the response that I got the next day;

"Dear Mike,
I'm sorry to hear that your water filter failed after only 6 or 7 uses. We have been selling the water filter kit and replacement filters since 1988 and I rarely (if ever) receive any complaints.
I will send you a replacement by parcel post to the address below."

Five days later I received a new filter. I didn't expect such Costumer Service from them. And I don't think that they would be selling anything this important that would fail. So I believe that this is rare for this filter to fail this way.

So on to the rest of the review. The filter is light weight 6 oz, all plastic construction. There are no O-rings to wear out. A very simple designed ball-type pump, very little can go wrong with it. The Filter is positively sealed that filters down to 2 micron. And is said to filter 400 quarts. I have using this replacement filter for 2 seasons without any issue. So I figure that the first filter was a fluke.

I would recommend this filter for cleaner water sources. If traveling into more polluted areas bring the tablets too. For my trips, it works great. And I get clean clear water to drink at every stop. Plus Customer Service like this is rare.