Coleman 12-Count Egg Container

Actually, I use this item, (really, I own two) at…

Actually, I use this item, (really, I own two) at home. It's easily available from "Wally World"--it's practically a "fixture" there!

I dislike relying upon flimsy, dirty egg cartons. Each side has a "handle." When the unit is "locked" together, the handles come together to form a thicker one which keeps the sides together well when carried.  (Remember though, that the catches work via simple friction. A little attention is necessary to keep the sides from opening up accidentally.)

I dock a star for the lack of secure "locks" and the fact that eggs bigger than "medium"  are a tight fit--I've never had an egg crack from using this, though. (I don't remember trying jumbo eggs in this.) It has its limits, anyway,

The manner in which chickens are cared for and eggs are packed by processors really is scummy. Salmonella always lurks as a threat: Cartons and eggs are dirty and always suspect. After using the eggs up, remember to wash this--dishwashing is OK. Always wash your hands after touching eggs, cartons, or this.

I believe that the 12-count Egg Container is a "quintessential" car-camping item: it's unlikely to disappear, unlike other fancier gear!

If you've owned or used a Coleman 12-Count Egg Container, please share your experience.

Coleman 12-Count Egg Container

The Coleman 12-Count Egg Container is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 18, 2013 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new storage container, check out the best reviewed current models.