Coleman Apollo Dual Fuel Stove

I bought this stove last year, but just used it for…

I bought this stove last year, but just used it for the first time in the field recently.

I spent 10 days backpacking around the Yucatan peninsula down in Mexico and used the stove to cook several meals. It is dependable, requires no priming, is efficient and best of all simmers better than any remote/separate bottle liquid fuel stove I have ever used. It also boils water extremely fast.

It is a little loud but not nearly as noisy as the trusty old MSR Whisperlight International I sold after 11 years a few months ago (great stove but does not simmer). I also own a Primus Omni-fuel which was my stove of choice for international travel until I got the Coleman.

The Coleman is lighter, has all of the same liquid fuel options, and I could never quite get the Primus to simmer. The simmering problem seems to be related to the little cup that the flame comes out of. On the Coleman it is a little perforated mesh screen. On the Primus it is a metal ring. The mesh seems to give a much more refined and controllable flame.

The pot legs are serrated and grip even un-grooved pot bottoms well. The package comes with the bottle, wind screen, protective plate, a repair kit and detailed instructions which are also listed in brief form on the fuel bottom. It is a little heavy but otherwise is an excellent purchase.

I actually look forward to using it on future trips. One more note. White gas can be bought at many paint stores all over Latin America for about $2 US per liter. Just ask for gas blanco.

If you've owned or used a Coleman Apollo Dual Fuel Stove, please share your experience.

Coleman Apollo Dual Fuel Stove

The Apollo Dual Fuel Stove has been discontinued.

The Coleman Apollo Dual Fuel Stove is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 14, 2008 at Gear for Adventure.

If you're looking for a new liquid fuel stove, check out the best reviewed current models.