Coleman CR123A Lithium Pack-Away Lantern

I bought the big brother of this light for an AT hike…

I bought the big brother of this light for an AT hike several weeks ago. While it worked well, it seemed a bit large and heavy for my needs (uses 4AA batteries).

Following my outing, I happened upon this model. It uses 3 CR123A batteries and is

1/4 to 1/3 smaller overall. Both lights appear to produce the same levels of light; or close to it.

The other feature that, in my opinion, places this model above its 4AAA sibling is the relative lack of artifacts. Coleman has redesigned the diffuser holder, and it makes a big difference; to the better.

Highly recommended.

This light is small, I mean really small! But it packs…

This light is small, I mean really small! But it packs a serious punch in the light department. It throws out 100 lumens of power and I'm pretty sure I could swallow this thing.

Very durable, I have thrown this thing all around in my pack and it even took a few whacks and it still works like the day I bought it. When the light is on it does throw some distorted light "lines" but it's still illuminating the area so I don't see where there is a problem.

UPDATE 6/12: After a couple years use I no longer use this lantern. I have switched to the Black Diamond Apollo. Much softer light that throws light everywhere with no blind spots.

If you've owned or used a Coleman CR123A Lithium Pack-Away Lantern, please share your experience.

Coleman CR123A Lithium Pack-Away Lantern

The Coleman CR123A Lithium Pack-Away Lantern is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 31, 2013 at REI.

If you're looking for a new battery-powered lantern, check out the best reviewed current models.