Coleman Solo Cook Kit

So I picked this up on a whim one day and thought…

Price Paid: $23.89 + Tax

So I picked this up on a whim one day and thought it might be a good two pot system for cooking on stoves and coals.  If it got too messed up I wouldn't be out too much bread and if it worked I would consider it a victory in purchase power.

The overall weight, including sack is 15 7/8 oz. The small pot (20oz.) and pan (12oz.) weigh in at 7 oz.  The large pot (32oz.) and pan (16oz.) come in at 8 1/8 oz.  Yikes, it's a tad on the heavy side for both, but what it lacks in weight it makes up for in cooking ability.

The pots are made of hard anodized aluminum, a surface that conducts heat well, and evenly. They come in a matte black finish, and have measurement labels cast on the inside of the pots.

These pots are amazingly strong, and well made for the price. The large pot is big enough to nest a large Snow Peak canister, and the small pot nests a small canister comfortably.  My Snow Peak gigapower nests inside both, with or without the case.

Cooking with the pots are a joy, once warm they require very little heat for simmering, and if you cook like I do that's important.  If I have a fire, complex gourmet trail cooking is a breeze with this set.

If you want a classic meal like linguine with sauté garlic and olive oil, I recommend boiling the water in the large pot and using the small pan to sauté the garlic in extra virgin olive oil over coals. Use the small pot to act as a mug and drain the semolina water into the small pot using the large lid, inverted over the large pot and presto, you have hot water for tea, or hot coca.  Add a little shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, some cracked pepper and you're molto bella.

Frying a large or jumbo egg in the large pan provides the perfect surface area for an english muffin, just use a little oil or butter on the pan and the egg is real easy to manage.

Cook-Set.jpg

If all you are interested in is boiling water, this set might be a little on the heavy side. That said, I have taken only the small pot and stuff sack with me on occasion and they have served me well. The pots won't bend and warp when hot like titanium, and the folding handles are long enough to stay cool when simmering and boiling.

My Snow Peak 450 Double wall mug nests inside the small pot perfectly, although you'll have to pack the canister separately.  One thing to consider is that cleaning can be somewhat tedious, due to the raised measurements on the inside of the pots.  Getting in between those zeros is a little less than tricky.

Overall, I find that these pots and pans work well in the backcountry, whether you are boiling water or going gourmet you'll find an ease of use, relatively inexpensive and more importantly they provide a uniform cooking surface that efficiently accepts heat and cleans relatively easy.

Try it for yourself, if you don't like it you won't be out too much cheddar.

I recently purchased this cook set for both small…

I recently purchased this cook set for both small group camping and solo camping. The set comes with 2 pots and 2 lids. The large pot shows 24 ounces on the graduated line, however 32 ounces measures to the pot's top curved edge. The large pan/ lid covering is 16 ounces to the top edge.

The small pot shows 16 ounces on the graduated line, however 20 ounces measures to the pot's top curved edge. The small pan/ lid covering is 12 ounces to the top edge.

I used the Coleman Feather 442 to cook on. The pot's anodized exterior worked and looked good. The metal seemed to hold an even heat transfer. The lids work great with small baking/ frying. The large pot worked great to cook chili and soups in. The small pot worked great to make coffee with.

I used this set for a small group and I was pleased with the set. Coleman made a good cook set for the price.

The Coleman Feather 442 actually will rest inside the large pot with lid closed. I also have a Brunton Bantam Liquid Stove that will rest inside the small pot with lid closed.

The handles did not get hot from the flames and I could easily pick up the pots and/ or lids without burning my hands.

I will be trying this cook set out on my alcohol stoves next.

I like the compactness and lightweight material. Coleman seems to have a good competition with other cookware manufacturers when it comes to outdoor equipment.

If you are looking for a simple inexpensive anodized…

If you are looking for a simple inexpensive anodized aluminum cookset, you can't go wrong with this kit.  I think that you have to look at the kit as two independent sets.

The smaller pot and fry pan make a great pot and bowl set up for a lightweight overnighter or 2 day trip.  It can accommodate the small butane fuel canisters made by Jetboil, so you can pair this set with a small canister stove and fuel canister all in one.

The larger pot and fry pan are better if you are taking one pot for two people, and can accommodate most of the larger butane fuel canisters so it might be a better option for an extended trip.

Both sets are reasonably light weight and durable for what you are getting. Optimus sells two similar sets and if you check the prices, this set is cheaper than buying their least expensive pot and pan set.  I believe that they are made by the same factory in China as well.

This set used to be more widely available (I bought mine from Campmor) but it appears that it is now a straight to Walmart product.  Either way, it makes a great set when cost and versatility are key requirements.

I agree, I got my set at a Walmart for under $25.

I agree, I got my set at a Walmart for under $25. I figured if it was a piece of crap... I would not be out to much money. I was pleasantly surprised! And I have used it now for two years!

When I am backpacking I nest a cannister in the large pot, and carry a PocketRocket on top. I then carry it all in the provided mesh bag. If I'm on a day hike and want coffee, I take the smaller pot with my alcohol stove.

Great kit for the money! Oh and by the way the set is very durable.

I also pick up one of these sets to replace an old…

I also pick up one of these sets to replace an old soft aluminum set I've had for years.

Seems like good quality for the money. They're available at Walmarts everywhere.

If you've owned or used a Coleman Solo Cook Kit, please share your experience.

Coleman Solo Cook Kit

The Solo Cook Kit has been discontinued.

The Coleman Solo Cook Kit is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 17, 2010 at Campmor.

If you're looking for a new pot/pan, check out the best reviewed current models.