Coleman Sportster Dual Fuel II

Great for canoeing and car camping. I have used mine…

Summary

Great for canoeing and car camping.

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Dependable
  • Simmers well
  • Reliable

Cons

• Heavy for backpacking

I have used mine for the past two yeas with no problems and bought it new. It lights every time without fail, and I have used it for making coffee to making large meals. Flame control is very good and will go from simmer to high with no problem. I only had to shield it once and it is very stable with large pots. It is a little heavy for backpacking.

This cooker is excellent, almost no moving parts,…

Source: bought it used

Summary

This cooker is excellent, almost no moving parts, plenty of spares available. They are bullet proof.

Pros

• Dead simple

Cons

• As with any leather washerd pump it'll dry out and not build up pressure, take it out and rub some boot softener onto it, fixed.

To light, fill with fuel, pump up pressure, light match, have over burner head turn on fuel, one lit cooker. Adjust the burner control for more or less heat, couldn't be simpler.

Remember to keep the fuel bottle well away from the cooker. Not a good idea to operate any type of stove if inebriated. Remember to know how to fix it before you need to and to carry a spares kit.

Won't light. After a dozen lights, the pump will not…

Summary

Won't light.

Pros

• Once lit it works great.

Cons

• Can't be lit.

After a dozen lights, the pump will not do what it is supposed to do and there are no t/shooting tips  I can find specifilcally for this unit.

No matter what I do I can't get the pump to that critical point where it's working. I have followed the instructions to the letter but after 50 attempts I'm ready to throw it out.

There is a hole in the knob. Have tried covering and uncovering it with my thumb while pumping and if I don't cover it I just get a woosh of air coming backwards and if I cover it I can't force the pump in.

DrPhun

The mechanism is basically the same as any other Coleman stove or lantern. The internet is full of instructions on how to use them or how to repair them.

jackknifegypsy

This is a site that came up in google when I die just that.

jackknifegypsy

This is a site that came up in google when I die just that.

DrPhun

Try googleing "coleman stove repair" since this won't allow links in the comments. Don't worry if the instructions are for a suitcase style stove or a lantern as most of the mechanism is the same. People find these stoves after sitting on the bottom of a lake for years, clean them up and get them going again.

jackknifegypsy

THX, but I called Coleman and, after disassembling the stove, I found a bent brass 'rod' on the end of a wire in the Generator, which was caught between the flared end and the connection point on the brass assembly valve. New parts are on the way for a total of $28.00.

I have used my Coleman 533Dual Fuel intensively for…

Price Paid: $35 (2003) and $60 (2011)

I have used my Coleman 533Dual Fuel intensively for over eight years now and I like it very much, If I did a lot of backpacking I think I would resent the bulk and, especially, the weight, but for camping off a motorcycle or out of a ute, with all that fuel just a siphon tube away, it's pretty near perfect for me.

That said, it has more moods than a teenaged daughter, its behavior varying remarkably with temperature, humidity, barometric pressure (and altitude), wind, how full the tank happens to be, and probably other variables I was too busy to notice. And I would not use it in an enclosed space.B

ut once you get the hang of it, you can do everything from boiling a pot of water in a jiffy to simmering a pot of rice and beans all afternoon. Flame adjustment seemed irksomely abrupt when I first got it, but either it mellowed out or I learned to work around it, or a bit of both. How much pumping is needed for optimum pressure varies with how much fuel is in the tank, but you soon learn it by feel. Give the pump's shaft a periodic slather of oil.

Somebody told me Coleman fuel is basically naphtha, so once when I lost my siphon tube and didn't want to carry a gallon of the stuff on the bike, I stopped at a hardware store and picked up a quart of painters' naphtha. Not the same at all. It burned angrily, spitting, flaring, and putting out a yellow, sooty flame. Next hardware store, I bought a few feet of clear plastic gas line. The 533 burns unleaded regular gas about as happily as the proprietary stuff.

The build quality is gratifying. After hundreds of meals and coffee breaks, the only non-cosmetic sign of its age is an intermittent leak around the fuel valve, very slight. I think that when it gets bad enough to motivate me that I can fix it by renewing the packing around the valve stem. But, to be on the safe side, I bought a new 533 as a backup! A great stove!

Great little stove - have been looking for one for…

Price Paid: $79 AU

Great little stove - have been looking for one for a long, long time and finally bought the last one in Australia (I think), BUT have difficulty fine tuning the burner to a simmer heat. However, one can live with that.

How good is it to take away regardless of how you go - walking, driving, boating, 'yakking', and not have to worry about, and carry back, those 'bloody awful' butane gas canisters for all those other little burners out there.

I have never tried the Coleman dual fuellers on unleaded fuel - just Shellite (spirit) and Coleman Fuel, both of which work just great.

I have this stove. I also have one of the made by…

Price Paid: $50 US

I have this stove. I also have one of the made by the big M company. I choose which stove to take depending on what I'm doing. The "M" stove for backpacking, this Coleman dual fuel when I'm carmping (car camping).

As far as usuability, this is easier to use than my other expensive multi-fuel device, but it's not good for backpacking. I'm afraid it will leak. It never has, but I always set it up right and it doesn't get bounced around.

This is one of the best Coleman products I have ever…

This is one of the best Coleman products I have ever owned. Several of my friends own them as well. We all have nothing but good words for this product.

It is the way things should be built. Construction is of a high standard. It has never failed at any time when it is called on to do something.

It will heat water for dinner, coffee, fry eggs faster than my range at home, heats larger pots of water easily. I used it to fry fish outside on a cast iron pan and it never missed a beat. Reliable  and  well built describe this unit  as a whole. I have even used it to heat water for a shower.

Not a hog on fuel either. Parts are easily found at local stores, or camping supply.

The last one I purchase from a place going out of business, and now I own three and if I can get another at a great price I will have four. I just can't say anything negative about the unit. When heat is needed at the camp it can fill the bill.

I have had this stove for well over 10 years and it…

I have had this stove for well over 10 years and it has yet to let me down. This is one durable little stove. I have used this stove hundreds if not a thousand times over the course of 10 years. Boils a liter of water in 2-3 minutes under ideal conditions, can also simmer for standard cooking.

This stove requires no annual maintenance. If you do develop a leak, there a couple of standard o-rings that can be purchased from any hardware store. Other than a tad bit of rust around the burner from leaving it out in one too many rain storms, this stove is still performing as well as day 1.

This stove takes a little getting used to as the directions can be a little missleading. If the fuel tank is full then it requires significantly fewer pumps. Otherwise you will have flames like 2-3 feet high for a few minutes. I do recommend bleeding off the tank pressure before storing it so that if the valve gets bumped open during transport you wont spill fuel everywhere.

The only reason this stove doesn't get 5 stars is because it is on the heavy side. But for the price, and durability of this stove I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The stove was initially fantastic it boils water extremely…

Price Paid: £39.99

The stove was initially fantastic it boils water extremely quick which as I only use dehydrated foods when on the hills that's all I want it to do. I bought it because I liked the idea of being able to put petrol in it if I was stuck for fuel, and although using it for solo backpacking am not too concerned about the weight.

The stove worked well for about 5 or 6 1 litre boils then I found my kit smelling of Coleman fuel and the saucepan that I kept the stove in in my Bergen swimming with fuel. The control valve had decided to start leaking. I took it back to the shop but as I had lost the receipt they said that Coleman will not accept returns without it. I am now stuck with a practically brand new stove and am a bit dubious about buying another 1.

I have used military hexi blocks for years and although they take about 3 weeks to boil water at least they CAN'T go wrong. I do think though that if I had not had a faulty stove I would be more that pleased with the stove. If you do buy 1 DO NOT lose the receipt.

As someone who has never used a liquid fuel stove…

Price Paid: About £35 on sale full price £44.95

As someone who has never used a liquid fuel stove before, I found the experience mystifying. The safety warnings are scary and when it shot up with yellow flame in my direction I certainly made a duck for it. When it took me ages of turning it on and off to finally get the flame to go out I'm left feeling that either there is something wrong with the one I bought or the instructions weren't enough for a first time user. I like the idea that it's safer than gas, but my confidence is low in using it right now - I'm looking for some hints about using this product.

Bit puzzled to find this flagged as multi-fuel as…

Price Paid: 28 GBP

Bit puzzled to find this flagged as multi-fuel as it only does white gas(coleman fuel) or Unleaded gasoline (petrol).

I've run primus and optimus pressure kerosene for more than 35 years and I bought this recently out of curiosity.

Really too heavy for solo backpacking at 1.2Kg filled and ready, but it slings out the heat and is really simple to use -- just follow the instructions on the tin.

You would not believe the price of Coleman fuel in the UK -- £50 ($80) per gallon -- so this will be fed unleaded auto fuel.

These little stoves are great. We use them in north…

Price Paid: £29.99

These little stoves are great. We use them in north Norway in the depth of winter and they still perform very well and (just as importantly) rarely have problems. Not the lightest or the best on the market, but excellent value for money.