Columbia Backcountry Convertible Pant

Very nice pair of convertible pants. I was looking…

Summary

Very nice pair of convertible pants.

Pros

Cons

• High price

I was looking for a new pair of convertible pants and came across these, so I figured I'd give them a try. These pants are light, dry quickly are are very comfortable. I've been wearing them on most of my training hikes this spring leading up to the multi day I have planned in July and they have performed excellent.

The fit is very comfortable. Lots of room in the crotch and thighs, but don't look baggy and hanging. Squatting and kneeling doesn't pull or bind anywhere even with a pack on, and side pockets stuffed full. Got caught in a pretty good rain without my rain gear and while they were soaked, dried in about an hour. They look good enough to wear out as casual shorts/pants on summer days.

The only two reasons that I don't give them 5 stars is that I own a pair of regular Columbia convertible pants and they fit and feel almost identical for half the price. My others I have had for about 3 years and are still going strong.

These have some kind of insect repellent. Well not too impressed with it. I started legs on, then removed them. While I didn't see any mosquitos on the shorts themselves, they were all over my exposed legs. I really don't the advantage in paying more for a pair of pants with repellent when it really doesn't give much protection.

Columbia Backcountry Convertible Pant

The Backcountry Convertible Pant has been discontinued.

The Columbia Backcountry Convertible Pant is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 10, 2013 at Columbia.

If you're looking for a new hiking pant, check out the best reviewed current models.