Columbia Convertible Pant

I am a first time user of convertible pants and generally…

Summary

I am a first time user of convertible pants and generally have been avoiding them. I do not see the usefulness of the zip-off leg and bought these because of quality material and fit.

Pros

• Fit
  • Material
  • Pockets

Cons

• Convertible
  • Zipper
  • Color

These pants had the best cool material of the available products. I really found that in summer weather the pants were very comfortable and shielded my leg from dangerous burns. I found that the material gave me confidence when I was sitting and did protect my skin from occasional bumps with fauna. I did not ever feel the need to unzip even in full sun and 75 degree weather.

The pockets were intelligent but not innovative. I had a task that involved crouching and working with my hands this was a problem with the cargo pockets contents bunching up and restricting my movement. I wished for specific shaped pockets to keep the cargo organized, instead had to rearrange taking my compass from were it had been stored.

The color was an army green and they only had this one color available. I like the color, but wish for something unique or fun and would have gladly sacrificed camouflage for a more interesting color this time.

This brings me to a note about style; the convertible pant has none. Really the look with the zipper knee is so unattractive and proves once again that men are much more interested in utilitarian products over looking good. I am a man myself and find that so many products fail to improve one's odds when searching for a mate. The convertible pant is no different.

This being said the pant did fit very well, fitting right in the back and not wrong in the front is a big deal. I beleive the label actually reflected the inseam unlike some products where you must try on all the sizes next to the right size to figure out what the manufacturer is going for. These actually fit in my size the first try.

Cold in the morning, sweltering at noon, chilly in the evening breeze. When fishing conditions are fickle, these convertible pants offer the perfect solution. Just zip off the legs to instantly transform them into a 7.5” inseam short. Light, durable nylon ripstop fabric features built-in sun protection and dries fast. Constructed specifically for the needs of anglers with a back hook and loop close pocket, roomy front slant pockets and hook and loop close patch pockets, and a radial leg gusset for great range of motion. Elastic back waistband is designed for a comfortable, custom fit. Authentic fit. FEATURES: 100% nylon Perfecta ripstop, Omni-Shade sun protection; UPF 15, 2 front slant pockets, 2 front patch pockets, back pocket, Radial leg gusset, Zip-off legs convert pant to 7.5” inseam short, Imported,

- Columbia

Self-adhesive thigh pads. Left and right sold separately.

- RockCreek

Part of the Performance Fishing Gear lineup, the Big Columbia PFG Convertible Pants for men are ready for any conditions you find when youre stalking the silver finned predators of the water. Made from durable, fast-drying Perfecta ripstop nylon, these zip-off pants are lightweight and offer UPF 15 sun protection. Converting to a pair of shorts with a 7.5-inch inseam, the Men's Convertible Pants are designed for the anglers among us with a back Velcro pocket, roomy front pockets and Velcro side cargo pockets.

- Altrec Outdoors

The Columbia Sportswear Men's Convertible Pants are designed to wick moisture, stay breathable and provide protection from UV rays. Legs zip off in a flash to convert from pants to shorts and back again, creating the ultimate combination for changing weather conditions. Lightweight nylon fabric dries quickly to ensure comfort and is easy to pack away in a backpack. Side cargo pockets offer ample room for trail and travel essentials.Constructed of 100% nylon ripstop fabricUPF 15 sun protectionZip-off legs convert pant to 7.5" inseam shortsQuick dry performanceFront hand pockets and rear flap pocketSecure cargo pocketsPartial elastic waist with belt loopsAvg. inseam: 32 in.Import.

- Campmor

Columbia Men's Convertible Pant

The Columbia Men's Convertible Pant is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 14, 2013 at Columbia.

If you're looking for a new hiking pant, check out the best reviewed current models.