Columbia Glennaker Lake Rain Jacket

I bought this at the beginning of last winter to go…

Summary

I bought this at the beginning of last winter to go in my day pack along with my down puffy. It has kept me dry on a couple of occasions where we had light rains but I really like it over my down puffy jacket on colder, windy days because it helps trap the heat in. It stuffs into one of its pockets so it's easy to stow away and doesn't take up much space. Plus the material is lightweight so it works well for backpacking too.

Pros

• A lot of color choices, I have the red/dark gray
  • Lightweight/stuffs in its own pocket
  • Waterproof for light showers, have not tried it in a downpour
  • Blocks wind
  • Hood hides away under the collar

Cons

• No vent zippers
  • No zipper pulls (added my own)

I was looking for a lightweight rain shell for carrying in my day pack. My heavier, snow shell was often too much coat for packing (and hoping to not have to use). I normally carried my lightweight down puffy coat, but if it rained or the snow was a wet snow, it soaked up too much water.

I found this one at one of our local sports stores during one of their sale events so decided to give it a try. I've been pleased with it and it's almost always in my pack for day hikes when the weather is iffy.  I've used it during several light rains and during a snow storm in New York.

It works well at keeping me dry and I haven't noticed any water leaking through. I've never used it during a downpour though so I don't know how it performs in that situation. It also is a great wind breaker. It has adjustable wrist straps and the Omni-Shield material does a good job of keeping the cold out and the warmth in. But...

The one thing I wish it did have is some vent zippers under the arm pits. When I've worn it during summer hikes it can get a little steamy inside. Vent zippers would be nice to help force some of the heat out. Also, it didn't come with zipper pulls, which make using the zipper more difficult when wearing gloves.  I ended up buying a multi-pack of pulls from REI and adding them myself.

I do like the hidden hood.  It rolls up under the collar which allows the jacket to be worn a little more formally while out around town.

At $30 this has a been a good, reliable jacket that meets a variety of needs both in town and on the trail.

CLOSEOUTS . Columbia Sportswear's Glennaker Lake rain jacket offers weather protection for light sprinkles and breezy spring days, with Omni-Shieldand#174; advanced repellency and a lightweight, packable design. Available Colors: AMAZON/GRILL, ANTIQUE MOSS/SURPLUS GREEN, BACKCOUNTRY ORANGE, WINDSWEPT/ABYSS, GRILL/FLINT GREY. Sizes: LT, XLT, 2XT, 3XT, 4XT, 2X, 3X, 4X, 1X.

- Sierra Trading Post

Lightweight and ultra comfortable, this jacket is easy to bring along for the ride. Highly compressable, this jacket also works great scrunched up in a ball within your backpack for when the time is right. Breathable, yet waterproof, this jacket was designed to eliminate the traditional rain jacket 'plastic bag' feeling.

- Rocky Mountain Trail

Keep out the elements with the simple style and weatherproof dependability of the Columbia Glennaker Lake Rain Jacket for men. Lightweight and packable, this full-zip nylon jacket rolls up into a small bundle that won't take up much room in your backpack. Made from water-resistant nylon Hydroplus fabric, you'll stay protected from wind and rain beneath the Omni-Shield shell. Two zip-closed hand pockets stash small essentials on the trail or in town and a stow-away storm hood helps to fully batten down the hatches when a tempest blows in. Perfect for travel abroad, day hikes and bike rides into town, this Columbia jacket stuffs into its own hand pocket for easy storage. Whether you're out on a long weekend backpacking trip near home or you're in the midst of a 10-day adventure in Costa Rica, the Columbia Men's Glennaker Lake Rain Jacket will block wind and water while leaving plenty of cash in your trip fund for more GORP or Gallo Pinto.

- Altrec Outlet

Protect yourself from the rain in the Columbia Sportswear Men's Glennaker Lake Rain Jacket. This nylon shell boasts Omni-Shield advanced repellency to protect you in case you get caught in an early spring light rain. Lightweight packability makes this jacket easy to throw in your pack, so you'll be prepared for that unexpected drizzle on the trail or around town. Zip-closed pockets keep valuables secure, and adjustable cuffs provide a custom fit.Constructed of 100% nylon fabric.Omni-Shield advanced water and stain repellency.Zip-closed pockets keep valuables secure.Packable.Avg. length: 29 in.Import.

- Campmor