Columbia Moonstone 15 Mummy

Great super lightweight bag that packs up super small,…

Summary

Great super lightweight bag that packs up super small, without a giant price tag.

Pros

• Warm
  • Packs up super small

Cons

• Lightweight ripstop material may not prove that durable

Warmth: I purchased the Moonstone 15 to replace my synthetic bag in my attempt to go lighter and smaller. I was skeptical at first that this bag or other down bags I have checked out would keep me warm in freezing temperatures. The down loft just did not compare to my down duvet on my bed or the quantity of insulation required in a comparably rated synthetic bag.

Boy was I ever wrong. I tested the bag for three consecutive nights in the back yard at 15° F wearing only my skivvies. I slept on my Therm-a-Rest CampRest mattress in a chintzy Coleman dome tent. Snug as a bug I was.  I am confident the bag will keep me warm to 0° F! There were no cold spots or drafts.

Fit & Comfort: At 6'3" I ordered the long bag and I fit fine. My feet did not feel confined thanks to the shape of the toe box. The bag is a bit tight in the shoulders making final zipping and cinching the face gasket shut just a touch difficult. I am an average build and by no means have broad shoulders.

Moisture: Once zipped up the bag warmed up quickly thanks to the reflective lining. I started to wonder if the nag was breathable or if moisture condensation on the bags shell would result. When I awoke, my tent was soaked, but the bag was dry. I cannot yet attest if moisture may accumulate over many nights and days of sub freezing temps.

Packability: This bag packs up extremely small which will allow me to ditch my old, heavy pack for a newer, more lightweight pack.

Features:The Omni-heat reflective lining in this bag coupled with how lightweight and packable it is seems to set it apart with other comparably priced bags out there. .

Construction & Durability: The lightweight ripstop material seems a bit thin. Again I have only used the bag for three consecutive nights so far. None of the down feathers poked through the material. The bag appears to be very well constructed.

In addition to 800-fill goose down and the Omni-Heat lining, which traps and recirculates your body heat while providing breathability and down fill, several thoughtful design details work together to help cancel heat loss: a draft tube along the zipper--which is glow in the dark for ease of use in the dark--prevents it from becoming a cold spot, and a face gasket cinches down to keep crucial head heat in. A stash pocket near the zipper top is the perfect spot to store your cell phone. A trapezoid toe box provides plenty of room for foot comfort. Featuring a smooth yet strong shell fabric and a minimalist, utility-focused design, the Moonstone compresses down into a miniscule 7"x14" stuff sack to take up minimal room in your pack. FEATURES : Fabric: Superlight 15D ripstop, Omni-Heat thermal reflective lining Omni-Heat thermal reflective lining 800 fill goose down with 90% down/10% feather Reg. 37oz average weight Reg. 21oz fill weight Down filled draft collar and tube Stash pocket Regular inside length: 76" 6"x13" compression sack included ENT T-Comfort 27 degrees F/-3 degrees C ENT T-Limit 15 degrees F/-9 degrees C ENT T-Extreme -19 degrees F/-28 degrees C Imported

- Columbia

CLOSEOUTS . Columbia Sportswear's 15and#176;F Moonstone down sleeping bag is an excellent choice for backpacking thanks to the extremely lightweight and ultra-compressible 800 fill power down insulation. Plus, Omni-Heatand#174; thermal reflective lining holds in body heat to further increase warmth and Omni-Shieldand#174; protects from moisture. Available Colors: HAWK.

- Sierra Trading Post

When climbing a 14,000 ft. peak it's hard to persevere when your gear is weighing you down. The down-filled Columbia Moonstone +15 long sleeping bag provides great warmth without cumbersome weight. 800-fill-power goose down and the Omni-Heat(R) lining trap and recirculate your body heat while providing breathability. Omni-Heat thermal reflective lining helps regulate your temperature by reflecting and retaining the warmth your body generates. Smooth, strong 15-denier shell fabric keeps the weight of the bag down and allows it to compress to fit in the 7 x 14 in. stuff sack. Down-filled draft tube and draft collar keep cool breezes from getting in; cinch the face gasket down for maximum warmth. Trapezoid toe box provides plenty of room for your feet. Stash pocket near the zipper top is the perfect spot to store your cell phone or watch. Glow-in-the-dark zipper is easy to find in the middle of the night. Columbia Moonstone +15 sleeping bag includes a compression stuff sack. Closeout.