Columbia Steens Mountain Full Zip

kids' Toddler Little Boys Boys
Fabric 100% Polyester Fleece, 100% Polyester 100% Polyester Fleece, 100% Polyester 100% Polyester Fleece, 100% Polyester
Sizes 2T - 4T 4/5, 6/7 8 - 18/20
Price $24.00 USD $26.00 USD $26.00 USD

You can't beat this jacket for the price. Great as…

Price Paid: $18 USD on sale

Summary

You can't beat this jacket for the price. Great as a light jacket in cool temps or a mid-layer for colder temps.

Pros

• Warm
  • Full zip pockets
  • Draw cord hem
  • Price

Cons

• Bulky
  • Runs large

The only thing I hate about fleece is that I've got pets and it's next to impossible to get the pet hair out of it. That aside, I love this Columbia fleece jacket and I never, never, ever go backpacking, fishing, or camping without it! I've spent WAY more on fleece only to be disappointed the first time a campfire ember burns a hole through it, a zipper fails, or when it pilled on the 3rd or 4th wash.

Unfortunately, it's finally time to face the fact that I'm ready for a new one. My current one will become my yard jacket, my dog and cat grooming jacket, my weed smoking jacket, but I won't be able to part with it until completely falls apart. It's like an old pair of jeans which are so comfortable that it doesn't matter if your knees, ass and junk are all hanging out, you're emotionally attached and can't let them go.

This fleece makes a great jacket for those cool mountain evenings or a very warm mid-layer for cold weather activities. I've had my current one for at least 6 years and other than a couple of small holes from campfire sparks, it still looks great and has stayed warm in spite of having finally pilled after countless washes.

The fit is large for the sizing. I have a medium and it's big enough for a base and mid-layer when using the jacket as an outer layer. Water will bead up to a point but it also dries fast if it gets soaked.  It also breathes really well.

Hands down, this is my favorite Columbia product EVER!

Great for the price. I've had this fleece for about…

Summary

Great for the price.

Pros

• Low price
  • Warm
  • Water resistant
  • Huge pockets with zippers

Cons

• Not wind resistant at all
  • Loose fit
  • Thin material
  • Stops at the waist

I've had this fleece for about two years now and I've worn it almost every day. I bought it at a thrift store for $12 with the tags still on it and after a long abusive life, I'm finally in the market for a new and improved fleece.

The Columbia Steens is nice for cool summer nights. It works during the spring and fall if worn over a thin long sleeve base layer, and as an insulating layer during the winter. It's extremely breathable, which can be a positive or a negative, depending on your situation.

The two pockets are huge and zip from top to bottom. There's an elastic drawstring around the bottom with locks on each side to help keep cold drafts off your back. The coat comes down to about waist level and has a lot of space if you need to wear another insulating layer underneath, like a wool sweater or something.

If given the same chance to buy another at the same price, I'd probably take it even though I'm in the market for a higher quality one. It's been a great coat that's helped me endure all of the seasonal elements of Northeastern PA, work and play.

edit 3/14: Bought a new fleece. Mountain Hardwear Desna Fleece Jacket. The Columbia Steens blows it out of the water, hands down.

You get what you pay for, well constructed but thin…

Summary

You get what you pay for, well constructed but thin but for a low, low price.

Pros

• Price

Cons

• Thinnnnn

I have to learn to read gear reviews with a grain of salt because everyone who was buying this fleece online said it was "warm". While it will add an extra layer to your base gear, it will not keep you warm as its Polartec rating has to be at most 100.

Still, I can't complain too much as this is a well constructed fleece, no pulls, zippers work, etc. I did use it as an effective layer in Yosemite when it was snowing on me, so it does provide warmth, but it is just thin is all.

A great deal for the price though, low low prices on this puppy.

Excellent basic fleece, our son loves it Got this…

Summary

Excellent basic fleece, our son loves it

Pros

• Reasonably price
  • Attractive
  • Warm

Cons

• None

Got this for my son for Christmas and it immediately became his go-to jacket (by his own choosing). Now no matter what the weather, no matter what the temperature, he wants to wear this fleece — and he's always bummed when we make him wear his heavier coat when it's too cold and/or windy for a fleece. And this from a boy that generally doesn't give a hoot about what he wears!

He loves the soft wear of the fleece and it looks really handsome and masculine on him. The full-length zipper and raised collar make this more useful and easier to get on and off than a 1/4 zip fleece. It's a mid-weight fleece providing good warmth for its weight and it seems well-constructed and has been trouble free after a season of nearly daily use.

My son (7) is a little bit big for his age and we got him the 10/12, it's kind of big on him but still functional and with room to grow — he'll definitely get at least a couple of seasons out of it.

We paid $20 for it at a local department store, and it has proven to be a super purchase. Sturdy, understated but stylish, really comfy, and most importantly he loves it. Thumbs up!

A great fall jacket. It is plenty warm, although not…

Price Paid: $8 at Marshall's

A great fall jacket. It is plenty warm, although not designed to be a technical mid-layer. It is a regular fit / cut, so not drop-hemmed in back and shorter up front. There is plenty of length and room in the torso for an athletic build. If you're the average Joe (carrying some extra weight), it may fit you snugly.

The pockets are cavernous, which is great for stuffing gloved hands into. The sleeves don't impede motion with full limb extentions.

I have the Rust/Orange color, and it is "beautiful" according to my wife, "for the Fall". Being a traditional mid-weight fleece, it does not block wind well. It does wick perspiration.

I had great performance while on a camping trip with the kids and was comfortable with a mid-weight base layer in 40 degree temperatures. A great, basic jacket with quality zippers and fleece.