Columbia Steens Mountain Full Zip

You can't beat this jacket for the price. Great as…

Price Paid: $18 USD on sale

Summary

You can't beat this jacket for the price. Great as a light jacket in cool temps or a mid-layer for colder temps.

Pros

• Warm
  • Full zip pockets
  • Draw cord hem
  • Price

Cons

• Bulky
  • Runs large

The only thing I hate about fleece is that I've got pets and it's next to impossible to get the pet hair out of it. That aside, I love this Columbia fleece jacket and I never, never, ever go backpacking, fishing, or camping without it! I've spent WAY more on fleece only to be disappointed the first time a campfire ember burns a hole through it, a zipper fails, or when it pilled on the 3rd or 4th wash.

Unfortunately, it's finally time to face the fact that I'm ready for a new one. My current one will become my yard jacket, my dog and cat grooming jacket, my weed smoking jacket, but I won't be able to part with it until completely falls apart. It's like an old pair of jeans which are so comfortable that it doesn't matter if your knees, ass and junk are all hanging out, you're emotionally attached and can't let them go.

This fleece makes a great jacket for those cool mountain evenings or a very warm mid-layer for cold weather activities. I've had my current one for at least 6 years and other than a couple of small holes from campfire sparks, it still looks great and has stayed warm in spite of having finally pilled after countless washes.

The fit is large for the sizing. I have a medium and it's big enough for a base and mid-layer when using the jacket as an outer layer. Water will bead up to a point but it also dries fast if it gets soaked.  It also breathes really well.

Hands down, this is my favorite Columbia product EVER!

Great for the price. I've had this fleece for about…

Summary

Great for the price.

Pros

• Low price
  • Warm
  • Water resistant
  • Huge pockets with zippers

Cons

• Not wind resistant at all
  • Loose fit
  • Thin material
  • Stops at the waist

I've had this fleece for about two years now and I've worn it almost every day. I bought it at a thrift store for $12 with the tags still on it and after a long abusive life, I'm finally in the market for a new and improved fleece.

The Columbia Steens is nice for cool summer nights. It works during the spring and fall if worn over a thin long sleeve base layer, and as an insulating layer during the winter. It's extremely breathable, which can be a positive or a negative, depending on your situation.

The two pockets are huge and zip from top to bottom. There's an elastic drawstring around the bottom with locks on each side to help keep cold drafts off your back. The coat comes down to about waist level and has a lot of space if you need to wear another insulating layer underneath, like a wool sweater or something.

If given the same chance to buy another at the same price, I'd probably take it even though I'm in the market for a higher quality one. It's been a great coat that's helped me endure all of the seasonal elements of Northeastern PA, work and play.

edit 3/14: Bought a new fleece. Mountain Hardwear Desna Fleece Jacket. The Columbia Steens blows it out of the water, hands down.

You get what you pay for, well constructed but thin…

Summary

You get what you pay for, well constructed but thin but for a low, low price.

Pros

• Price

Cons

• Thinnnnn

I have to learn to read gear reviews with a grain of salt because everyone who was buying this fleece online said it was "warm". While it will add an extra layer to your base gear, it will not keep you warm as its Polartec rating has to be at most 100.

Still, I can't complain too much as this is a well constructed fleece, no pulls, zippers work, etc. I did use it as an effective layer in Yosemite when it was snowing on me, so it does provide warmth, but it is just thin is all.

A great deal for the price though, low low prices on this puppy.

A great fall jacket. It is plenty warm, although not…

Price Paid: $8 at Marshall's

A great fall jacket. It is plenty warm, although not designed to be a technical mid-layer. It is a regular fit / cut, so not drop-hemmed in back and shorter up front. There is plenty of length and room in the torso for an athletic build. If you're the average Joe (carrying some extra weight), it may fit you snugly.

The pockets are cavernous, which is great for stuffing gloved hands into. The sleeves don't impede motion with full limb extentions.

I have the Rust/Orange color, and it is "beautiful" according to my wife, "for the Fall". Being a traditional mid-weight fleece, it does not block wind well. It does wick perspiration.

I had great performance while on a camping trip with the kids and was comfortable with a mid-weight base layer in 40 degree temperatures. A great, basic jacket with quality zippers and fleece.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Steens Mountain Full Zip versions

In addition to the 4 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Steens Mountain Full Zip. Read all reviews »

Columbia Men's Steens Mountain Full Zip

The Columbia Men's Steens Mountain Full Zip is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 24, 2014 at Columbia.

If you're looking for a new fleece jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.