Columbia Tigertooth

I popped into my local outdoor store after my third…

Materials: Synthetic & leather

I popped into my local outdoor store after my third pair of Columbia Sawtooths wore out. I had great results using the Sawtooth an all-round trail and outdoor shoe, and wanted to get another pair. I was disappointed to learn that the Sawtooth had been discontinued and was offered the new Tigertooth as an alternative. Columbia is marketing the shoe as "a fresh evolution of the Sawtooth". After checking out the Tigertooth, I have to say I disagree with the marketing hype.

The new model feels narrower, with less support and less cushion in the sole. It's certainly not an improvement on the Sawtooth. The Tigertooth puts style before substance, and it shows. I mean, a product that comes in seven (yes, seven!) different color schemes can't really expect to be taken seriously as a competent trail shoe. Columbia has dropped the ball on this one.

These are my trail shoes as well as everyday shoes.

Materials: Leather, synthetic mesh. Rubber toe and heel guard.
Use: Dayhikes, trail running, everyday wear.
Break-in Period: Ready to go right out of the box.

These are my trail shoes as well as everyday shoes. I loved the Columbia Sawtooths and was disappointed when they were discontinued, but found the Tigertooths to be just as good, and a little lighter. They are great for dayhikes, fastpacking and light trail running. They have agressive tread which clings to rock and wet surfaces well, and are well constructed. They breathe well because of the mesh uppers, but this also makes them less waterproof. Very comfortable and great for any hiker who prefers to move quickly. I've put them through over a year of hard trail and everyday use and have seen very little wear.

If you've owned or used a Columbia Tigertooth, please share your experience.

Columbia Tigertooth

The Tigertooth has been discontinued.

The Columbia Tigertooth is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 19, 2007 at Ramsey Outdoor.