DaKine Frontier 36L

Awesome, durable, full feature winter pack. I use…

Summary

Awesome, durable, full feature winter pack.

Pros

• Carries well
  • Easy to organize gear

Cons

• Little heavy

I use the Dakine Frontier with my K2 Panoramic Splitboard.  It doesn't have a dedicated snowboard carry, but both the cable carry and A-frame carry methods work for me.  In most cases, if I'm carrying my split, it's because I'm on my way up and it's too steep for my skins to grip.  I rarely have a need to carry it otherwise.

The hydration bladder tube is a little hard to get into the shoulder strap on mine because there is a plastic panel going across the top-back of the pack, and the holes don't line up perfectly, but I can get it through with a little finesse. I've used it with a bladder down to 5°F and I haven't had the tube freeze up on me yet while inside the insulated shoulder sleeve.

The front shovel pocket has pockets for your probe, shovel and a beacon. The bottom of this pocket has a drain, so you can put your shovel away wet and not carry that moisture around with you all day long.

The compression straps can get it down pretty tight to your back, which is key in the narrower sections of glades/trails in the 'Dacks.

This pack carries very comfortable and the rear entry is awesome for those warm days were you want easy access to your shell before decending without having to dig through the top of the pack.

If you've owned or used a DaKine Frontier 36L, please share your experience.

DaKine Frontier 36L

The DaKine Frontier 36L is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new winter pack, check out the best reviewed current models.