Dana Design Terraplane LTW

This is the Cadillac of packs! Hands down... Most…

Design: Top Loading Internal
Size: 5800 Cu. In.
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 60 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'2"

This is the Cadillac of packs! Hands down... Most comfortable. If you don't own one...what are you waiting for? For a long time, I knew that this was a great pack. I had tried one on at Mountain Crossings (Neels Gap, GA). I just couldn't afford one. So I settled for a Gregory that rubbed and bruised and was generally uncomfortable. All that time I knew "One day I'll get a Dana."

Well, that day came last year and I've been smiling while trekking ever since. Seriously, the outside pockets will hold a ton of stuff. I keep my Crocs in one and my jacket and a cap in the other. The top converts into a nice hipbelt for those side trips. The pack is huge, but you can easily cinch it up if you aren't carrying a big load. The water bottle pockets are easy to get to.

The only complaint I have is that they don't hold your bottles very tightly. They may jump ship if you're rockhopping. Other than that, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PACK!

I've used this trip in the San Juans and on Ranier.

Design: Terraplane LTW
Size: Large
Max. Load Carried: 60
Height of Owner: 5-11"

I've used this trip in the San Juans and on Ranier. Simply a spectacular pack. Yes, it is LARGE. What's nice is that you have many different ways to configure the space, by cinching it down internally. I personally like the distribution of weight. I have a bad back, and I can comfortably handle 50 lbs on an extended trip - with no pain!!!

I was kind of sorry to hear Marmot acquired this brand. Marmot makes great stuff, but these packs have been great over the years. I've used other brands (I own a Kelty, a Gregory, a REI, besides this one), and I really like the Dana. If you've got one, hang onto it!!

Dana Design Inc was recently aquired by Marmot. These…

Design: Internal Frame
Size: 5300 cu in (Medium)
Number of Pockets: 2 pockets; lowere bag compartment; huge main; lid doubles as fanny pack
Max. Load Carried: 55 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5' 9"

Dana Design Inc was recently aquired by Marmot. These backpacks are hard to find. Check the Marmot site for retailers. Another option would be to check into Mystery Ranch Backpacks, owned by Dana Gleason, made in the USA, and cost a little more. I don't really think I have to recommend this pack, its reputation speaks for itself.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All Terraplane LTW versions

In addition to the 3 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Terraplane LTW. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Dana Design Men's Terraplane LTW, please share your experience.

Dana Design Men's Terraplane LTW

The Men's Terraplane LTW has been discontinued.

The Dana Design Men's Terraplane LTW is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 26, 2007 at OMCgear.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.