Darn Tough Merino Boot Sock Full Cushion

Socks that are comfortable, durable, and odor resistant.

Summary

Socks that are comfortable, durable, and odor resistant. ’Guaranteed For Life’ is quite a statement from a sock manufacturer. No strings. No conditions. For life.

• Odor resistant
  • Made in Vt., USA

Cons

• Slower dry time

I have been wearing brand name socks for years, and this product is the only one in its category that has not become thinner, thread-bare, or developed holes.

It should be noted that I never put my socks in the dryer, and either hand wash in the field (without soap), or use the gentle cycle in the washing machine, inside out as directed. Darn Tough recommends tumble-drying on low, I have always air-dried my socks after washing.

Specs: 69% Merino Wool, 27% Nylon, 4% Lycra Spandex

• True Seamless’ technology- Ultra light, yet extremely dense socks, with an undetectable toe seam
  • Made in Vermont, USA

The nylon and lycra in these socks makes them very easy to get on and off, even when one’s foot has moisture/sweat. Sometimes after fording a river or stream, slightly damp feet is the best it can get. I have compared a second pair of these socks after owning a pair for about a year and a half, wearing them on at least six backpacking trips, many day-hikes, and countless times casually.

The older socks have been backpacking/hiking in Maine, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina in all four seasons from beach climates, wetlands, highlands, and in the mountains.

The elasticity of these socks provide just enough compression for that additional comfort, which I find very advantageous. I feel this helps with blister prevention, as the socks stay conformed to your feet, and not moving around. These socks are not itchy at all, even being comprised of 69% Merino Wool. I have not found these socks to have lost any elasticity over the year and a half period, comparing to the new socks.

The Merino wool does a great job immediately wicking sweat and water away from one’s feet; this is particularly useful if some water gets above your feet when stream crossing, etc. My feet don’t tend to overheat, and I am also vigilant to keep my feet dry, and well cared for. It is a little difficult to have a rounded opinion on whether they run hot, but I haven’t personally found a concern.

I have found these socks to do a very good job keeping odor to a minimum, especially when really put to the test. I will typically take three pairs of socks on a backpacking trip: one to wear, one drying outside of the pack, and the last clean and dry, ready to change into. ’

Guaranteed For Life’ is quite a statement from a sock manufacturer. No strings. No conditions. For life. I find this to be a very bold, and excellent marketing strategy that backs up its promise. No receipt? No problem, according to Darn Tough! I personally have not warranted any socks from the company, but have heard from people that have. I must add that those socks that were replaced developed holes in the toes from, let's just say ‘unsavory toenail maintenance’.

I have attached several photos comparing the new socks to the older, I think you will agree that there is minimal wear difference noted between the two.

Conclusion: If you are looking for a sock (and its mate) that are going to last a lifetime, go with Darn Tough!

Nice review, Sean. I agree about the quality of Darn Tough socks. I have a few hiking and running pairs and they have held up better than any of my other wool socks.

Kathleen Ward

Nice review on an important piece of gear that doesn't get a lot of attention. Darn Toughs are the best socks I've ever used.

1 month ago

After so many good reviews, I've bought a pair of these, but I'm still getting good mileage out of my Smartwool PhD. So it may be some time until I try them.

KiwiKlimber

I'm working on two sock reviews right now, and this is great inspiration to get them done. Thanks and nice review. I need replace some not so long-lasting SmartWool's in the near future and I think I'll give Darn Tough a try.

denis daly

Been wearing Darn Toughs for 4 years..Best socks hands down.Puts Smartwool to shame..

Phil Smith

I love these things! Every time I go into EMS I make a point of buying another pair, and now my sock drawer is worth more than all my footwear LOL.

Lifetime socks. I was given a pair of Darn Tough Hike/Trek…

Summary

Lifetime socks.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Durability

Cons

• None

I was given a pair of Darn Tough Hike/Trek socks about five years ago with the purchase of a pair of Zamberlan 760 Steep hiking boots and I've never looked back. They are the only socks I wear for anything — period.

From the label I see they are made of 69% Merino Wool, 27% Nylon, and 4% Lycra Spandex. On the back of the package is says Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee.  "If you can wear these socks out, we'll replace them. Free of charge. No questions asked. For life. When you're really serious about something you make it yourself."

That statement was signed by Ric Cabot the owner of Cabot Hoisery Mills, Inc.

I work as a professional firefighter and these are the only socks I wear at work also. They fit well, they're comfortable beyond belief, they stay in place. I've never had a hot spot or a blister while wearing these socks, ever.

I still have the very first pair of these and they have logged well over a thousand hiking and working miles and, while not as good as new, are still doing a great job for me. The elastic, or whatever it is, that holds them in place works great, they still cushion my feet, and they don't ever take on a bad odor.

At this point, I would really feel guilty sending them in for a replacement against the lifetime warranty as I've received my money's worth a hundred times over, but I AM wondering if Ric Cabot has ever had to replace a worn out pair. I seriously doubt it.

Best of all — they are made right here in the U. S. of A. in the state of Vermont.

Bill "L.Dog" Garlinghouse

Love those Darn Tough socks. Can't imagine ever buying anything else ...

rob5073

This is the exact sock I use with my 760 Steeps and I have a pair of lighter weight Darn Tough socks to use for day hikes. They do make a great sock. I need to get more.

andrew f.

outstanding sock.

Don't leave home without them. I don't wear anything…

Price Paid: $15-$20?

Summary

Don't leave home without them.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Durability
  • Lifetime gaurantee

I don't wear anything but Darn Toughs. They last forever, and if they don't, they'll replace them.

I've worked through many socks in my time, but nothing…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize

Summary

I've worked through many socks in my time, but nothing compares to Darn Tough. These socks do everything you would want from one of your most abused pieces of equipment.

Incredibly durable, comfortable, don't fall down, resist odor, stay warm when wet, plus they're made in the USA! Darn Tough puts all other brands in the higher-end outdoor sock to shame.

Pros

• Very durable
  • Great fit
  • Don't fall down or get disfigured after use and washing
  • Warm when wet
  • Resist odor