Darn Tough Team Micro Crew

Hiking or running, these socks will keep your feet…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Hiking or running, these socks will keep your feet comfortable for miles and miles. Highly recommended!

Pros

• Breathable
  • comfortable
  • Lifetime warranty

Cons

• Socks don't stretch much
  • Don't come in a multiple pair pack

My wife got me these socks as a Valentine's Day gift...don't laugh, it was actually very thoughtful. I said I wanted to get more socks for hiking and such, and she found what turned out to be a great pair of socks for me.

I've been wearing these socks for many different occasions since I got them. Everyday use during the winter, running, and for hiking. I've put probably 100 miles on them so far, and they're still in great shape. The sock is pretty tight fitting on the foot and around the ankle, so be sure to get the correct size. Due to the material and fit of the sock, I have not run into any chafing or blisters — really no discomfort.

These socks are labeled as running socks, but I've never been into socks covering my ankles while running long distance — they make my legs and feet hot and, while it may be minor, it adds some extra weight. Over time and distance, that adds up.

However, I have found these to be perfect hiking socks for me. They are lightweight and thin which I love because lots of hiking socks are too thick and make my feet sweat like crazy, even if they're supposed to keep me cool. I recently wore them on a rainy and marshy 8-mile hike. The socks were wet but my feet were dry. I loved that. They do a really good job of keeping your feet at a constant temperature while pulling moisture away from your feet.

With merino wool in the material, my feet have stayed dry and comfortable, and the socks have remained clean smelling. Like I said, my feet sweat a lot when hiking and running, and socks get dirty pretty fast, so I appreciate that. My hiking boots also don't smell as bad either...another plus.

Darn Tough also has a pretty remarkable "if anything happens to your sock, we'll replace it" guarantee. That allows me to purchase these with confidence. And they're normally cheaper than Smartwool socks. I don't own any Smartwool socks, so I can't compare them.

A couple drawbacks to these socks: They don't stretch much, which requires a bit more effort to get them on and off, especially when they're wet. Once again, be sure to get the correct size - they're supposed to fit tightly so that it helps reduce friction on pressure points. Another drawback is that I haven't been able to find this sock in a multiple pair pack - if anyone is aware of them, let me know because I'm definitely getting more.

I've been immensely pleased with these socks, and I'll definitely get more because I would wear them all the time if I had them. They keep my feet comfortable in lots of different situations ± around the house, casual, and strenuous activities like hiking and running.

I would recommend these socks to anyone looking for a lightweight sock for spring/summer outdoor use, or if you're like me, any season use to keep my feet cool and dry.

Daniel Oates

I've heard good things about Darn Tough and their warranty. You mention to remember to get the correct size, this being a factor when removing when wet. Any advice (size up when compared to other socks)? Thanks, Adam!

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Nice review, Adam. I have been very pleased with my Darn Tough socks, as well!

KiwiKlimber

I've been pleased with my various pairs of SmartWool socks, but have recently thought about purchasing some Darn Toughs (or even Wigwams) to see how they compare. At a potentially lower price and an impeccable warranty (at least in Darn Tough's case) it looks like it might be worth branching out. Thanks for the review.

Adam Jepson

Hey Daniel, good question...most of the socks I wear are pretty elastic. These are not. One thing I forgot to mention in the review is that there is a size range - I think my were men's size 9-11 or something like that, so I just went with my normal shoe size - I'm usually a 10 or 11.

True athletes know that less is more and Darn Tough has set out to prove it once again with the new men's Team Micro Crew Ultra Light socks. When you need the lightest and toughest sock performance sock on the market you need to be sliding into the new Micro Crew ultra light socks. Darn Tough uses a true seamless pattern with a ultra high stitch count to ensure true comfort. Along with a fine gauge Merino Wool construction the Team Micro Crew Ultra Light socks will stay with you every step of the way. PRODUCT FEATURES: True Seamless construction reduces hotspots and blisters Ultra high stitch count creates a super comfortable sock with a streamlined fit Fine gauge Merino Wool makes this a fast drying and breathable all weather sock that stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter Merino Wool is naturally antimicrobial that repels bacteria and odor Still made in Vermont Guaranteed for life 60% Merino Wool, 33% Nylon, 7% Lycra Spandex

- Appalachian Outdoors

Offering a blister-free foot-hugging fit, the lightweight Team Micro Crew Socks from Darn Tough are designed with a breathable open-mesh top for the discerning roadie, mountain biker, road runner, and trail runner.

- EMS