Deuter Guide 45+

Weight 4 lb 4 oz / 1920 g
Capacity 2750 cu in / 45 L
Size 29 in x 13 in x 9.4 in / 73 cm x 34 cm x 24 cm
Material Deuter-MacroLite / Deuter-Duratex-Lite

Excellent pack for its intended use, which is multiday…

Summary

Excellent pack for its intended use, which is multiday ski touring and mountaineering. I would recommend this pack to anyone doing similar activities.

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Ski loops
  • Excellent ice ax loops and crampon patch
  • Helmet and rope attachments
  • Water resistant

Cons

• Does not come with rain cover
  • Side zipper is a point of weakness and possible water leakage
  • No hip belt pocket
  • Does not use the ACT hip belt buckle system

First, let me state that I have a positive bias toward Deuter. Most packs do not sit comfortably on my back, and since Deuters' back systems make a good fit for me, I almost always end up using a Deuter pack.

I am 178cm (5'10"), and the pack fits me very well, and sits comfortably with both heavy and light loads.

The hip belt is very comfortable and is a good fit. The only issue I have with it is that it uses the old school buckle system which, after having used the system found on Deuter's AirContact lineup, I must say is disappointing. (The AirContact system uses a free-floating clip on a bite, with the buckle fixed at the sides of your waist. This makes tightening much easier with a heavy load, and is less prone to loosening. The system used on the Guide 45+ is the typical one found on most packs, with the tightening buckle being a part of the clasp.)

The hip belt gear loops are well placed and water bottles clipped on them do not bother me while hiking and ski touring. There are no pockets on the belt, which is a shame, as they make an excellent place to store a snack or a camera.

Volume: Plenty. I am somewhere between the light and ultra-light in terms of gear and packing. I have managed to do 3-day ski touring trips with this pack weighing under 14kg including water (those were hut trips, add 2kg for tent).

The spacious volume makes packing easy and quick, and the top-panel pockets are both large with wide openings.

As I don't use the side-zipper for gear access, I consider it a potential point of failure. However, it is a pretty sturdy looking zipper, and if you make sure to keep the compression straps tightened, it shouldn't fail.

I'm not a huge fan of the separate sleep bag compartment. Especially considering that my sleeping bag compresses down to 8L and that compartment can easily hold twice that. That side, there is an internal zipper allowing you to open it completely for a single compartment bag type.

The external gear attachments are excellent. The ski loops work well with my mid-fat skis, and the near ice axe loop style is much better than the old style dangly loop. This does make attaching an avalanche shovel on the outside of your pack somewhat less straight forward. Mostly I try to pack it inside anyway if I can help it.

Deuter claims that the pack is waterproof. I have taken it on a heavy-snow weekend trip, and there was some moisture inside the pack by the end of the weekend, but no serious wetness.

The used heavier materials and waterproofed the inside layer, but a good rain cover is light and fool proof, and I recommend you get one. Conveniently, Deuter makes a 30-50L one that fits beautifully (most other rain covers are 20-40L and 40-60L, being significantly floppy on the pack, and slightly heavier than absolutely necessary.)

Overall, I would recommend this pack to anyone looking to do extensive back country skiing, mountaineering, and multi-day hiking. It is even better if you replace the buckle system on the hip belts with the AirContact buckle system (much, much better), and make a strap-guide to hold the shoulder-tensioning straps in place so they're easier to find (they tend to get caught behind your back, and are quite difficult to get a hold of with gloves.)

Backpack is fine, nice features, also good accessories…

Price Paid: €140

Backpack is fine, nice features, also good accessories available.

Used this backpack, last summer, 5 weeks in the Alps hiking, backpacking, and climbing in the Bergel area of Switzerland and Italy.

Shoulder straps slip all the time. Had to re-tighten them every 15/20 min.

I think carrying is the most important aspect of a backpack, that's why the 2.5 stars.

Helmet Holder is a great accessory, see review there.

paulgato

Willie, I had the same problem with the slipping straps but I solved it completely in a very simple way. When new it was OK but they got to the point I was hitching them up every few hundred metres.Deuter were not helpful to be honest but I worked out why they were slipping. It's because of the side-to-side movement of the strap in the buckle as you walk. I got a £3 pair of inline buckles and fitted them to the lower part of the adjustment straps so that the loose ends of the straps run through them, thus provided a little extra friction, but more importantly, keeping the strap in line with itself so it can't move side-to-side and work itself loose.

paulgato

It took me a long while to work out exactly what was going on there but once I did the solution was very simple, elegant and cheap. It's an excellent pack. Big enough for hiking and small enough to use as cabin baggage with the top pocket emptied into my jacket pockets and the lid cinched down into the main compartment. A bit heavy at 2kg but very comfortable for load carrying so you don't really feel it. I also use the Deuter add-on side pockets which I put inside the pack to go through airport security/cabin baggage checks and then put on the outside to expand the capacity for food, jacket, etc. once I arrive at my destination.

I tested this pack for 30 days straight hiking in…

Max. Load Carried: 40 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'2"

I tested this pack for 30 days straight hiking in the Himalayas.  I don't know what people keep talking about when they say the guide 45+ hugs your back.  I find the pack only makes contact at my lower back and at my shoulders.

The pack is so concaved, that you can almost slide your hand between the pack and my back.  So, all the load is basically cynched to your lower back and not distributed by way of friction to the rest of your back.  This pack gave me lots of back discomfort.

Also, the load stabilizers kept loosening off on me so often, that I regularly hiked with my finger in the loops to keep them snug.

I would have liked it to have a bungee-type mesh waterbottle holder on the side of the pack so you don't always have to take the pack off to get water out.  I'm not a fan of hydration systems and prefer the tried and tested water bottle because it is so much more multi-functional.

All the other features were awesome -- especially the multiple entry points so you can always find the thing you need buried in your pack.

I purchased the older model because it has much more…

Design: top and side loading with internal partitioning
Size: 45+
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 15kilograms
Height of Owner: 6,1

I purchased the older model because it has much more straps to fasten additional gear on the pack, compared to the new model. It does not have a raincover probably due to the manufacturer's claim that the pack is waterproof. I have not tested that one yet, instead I went ahead and purchased a separate raincover.

It's a very well designed, sturdy and handsome pack. Alpine back system distributes the weight evenly on your back. If you do not pull the stabilizers so tight, the ventilation on your back is relatively decent, but if you do, forget about it.

It has lots of buckles and straps everywhere, they are very useful indeed; hydration system compatible, removable sitting mat. There is no side water pockets; no need for them though, the pack's interior is very spacious. Sleeping bag compartment can be reached from outside and again relatively roomy.

All in all, it is a great bag.

This is a great pack! I took it to the Blue Ridge…

Design: Top/Side loading Internal
Size: 3300 cu. in.
Number of Pockets: 1 main compartment
Max. Load Carried: 30lbs
Height of Owner: 5'6''

This is a great pack! I took it to the Blue Ridge Mtns. for its first trip and it performed great. It weighs less that 4lbs and even with all my gear in it still felt comfortable and light as a feather on my back.

The airflow system worked great keeping my back dry and after being rained on all night it keep all my gear inside dry. The side strap held my trekking poles and my tripod tight. I would recommend this pack to everyone.

Great pack! I bought this pack for ski mountaineering.

Design: top loading and side loading
Size: 3750 cu. in.
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 45+
Height of Owner: 5'10

Great pack! I bought this pack for ski mountaineering. The strap system to hold skis is very heavy duty but light. The whole pack weighs less than 4 lbs. I have crammed 45+ lbs into it and it still carries comfortably!

You can get into the pack 2 ways, top or side, and the modular system allows you to leave behind parts if you want to. Hydration compatible. Axe loops with velcro holders. Everything you need!

I bought this piece of equipment in Buglaria at retail…

Design: internal frame
Size: 45+10l
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: around 20kg
Height of Owner: 188cm

I bought this piece of equipment in Buglaria at retail price of 90 euros, and this backpack is worth every euro/dollar.

It's very well designed with x/back support system, which fits good on your back. It's stable, rigid yet comfortable. It has a ton of useful features and its made of ballistic duratex which is scratch and waterproof. I have often used it both, as alpine climbs and even as a traveller's backpack.