Deuter Kid Comfort II

Weight 6 lb 8 oz / 2950 g
Capacity 1100 cu in / 18 L
Size 26 in x 15 in x 13 in / 66 cm x 38 cm x 32 cm
Material Deuter-Ripstop 210 / Deuter-Ballistic

We recently bought the Deuter Kid Comfort 2 backpack…

Design: Aluminum Frame
Max. Load Carried: 48-50 pounds
Height of Owner: 5'7"

We recently bought the Deuter Kid Comfort 2 backpack child carrier. We bought this pack to carry our 6-month-old daughter on our frequent hikes. The Kid Comfort two has brought our family closer together and our daughter seems to love riding in it. Anytime we put her in the pack she smiles real big and begins to kick her feet in excitement. She is constantly looking in every direction on our hikes and has not fussed or become upset.

Kid-Comfort-II.jpg
My daughter asleep in the Deuter Kid Comfort 2. Take note of the optional sun shade, retracted kick stand, and under seat storage and large padded hip belt

The Kid Comfort 2 is a aluminum frame backpack child carrier capable of carrying 50 pounds. Our daughter currently weighs 15 pounds combined with the pack weight of 5 lbs. 6 oz. I am consistently carrying 20 pounds. This does not include first aid kit, survival kit, rain gear, diapers, 2-3 liters of water and other miscellaneous items that end up in the packs ample storage space which easily push the pack to 25-30 or more pounds.

Even with this much weight the Kid Comfort two is very comfortable. The padded shoulder straps adjust to fit any torso. Combined with the padded hip belt it is very easy to keep the load off your back and on your hips. The back seems well ventilated. On a recent 6-mile hike with temperatures reaching 110 degrees I expected a lot more sweat. The pack breathed well and kept my back cool.

The child cockpit is well ventilated to help keep our baby cool. The optional sunshade/rainhood is great for keeping the sun off the baby without blocking her view. I am not so impressed with the rainhood aspect. Caught in a recent thunderstorm while attempting to summit Mount Livermore, the rainhood seemed to keep her head dry but did nothing to protect the rest of the child. We ended up wrapping the entire pack with a rain poncho just to keep the baby dry. I have since bought the Deuter Deluxe Rain cover which claims to protect the entire child. We will see how it does.
kidcomfortFullRainCovermd.jpg
Deuter Deluxe Rain Cover

The side buckle allows easy access when putting the child in our taking them out of the pack. My daughter seems to like to rest her head on the buckle which began to scratch up her chin on our last trip. It must not have hurt too much, she didn’t cry nor try to move away from the buckle. Part of this may be due to the fact that our daughter is still quite small. The child cockpit seems to be built for larger children up to 2 years old. Even with the straps adjusted as small as they will go our daughter can still more around a lot.

The other day we put a friend’s 2 year old in the pack just to see the difference. We weighed the youngster at 27 pounds. He fit well in the cockpit and seemed very comfortable. I hiked him around our living room for about 5 mins and couldn’t really feel the extra weight. Of course I didn’t put any of the extra stuff in the back I mentioned earlier which would have added 5 to 10 pounds.

All in all we are very pleased with the pack. There are many convenient features like the retractable kickstand, water bladder compatibility, load lift straps, and a lifetime warranty. It is easy to see why this is the number one backpack child carrier on the market. I highly recommend the pack for anyone looking for a high-end backpack carrier.

We got the Deuter Kid Comfort II on the recommendation…

Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 25 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'6"

We got the Deuter Kid Comfort II on the recommendation of a friend and we couldn't be happier. It's comfortable to carry, has a hydration bladder pouch, and enough storage that if I was hiking by myself I'd have enough room for gear/diapers/food.

My husband and I often switch who carries it and it's super easy to change the torso length and adjust the straps. We found it be much more comfortable to carry than this other Kelty carrier we borrowed from a friend.

It seems to be very comfortable for our son, as well. He's been using it since he was about 8 months old and the straps are fairly easy to adjust as he grows. It has a more substantial seat than some Kelty models, which have more of a saddle than a seat.

I also highly recommend the sunshade - a must have.

Have just finished backpacking around Europe with…

Max. Load Carried: 18kg
Height of Owner: 180cm

Have just finished backpacking around Europe with 4 kids - youngest is 2 and weighs 12 kg. We did heaps of walking and hikes. Stayed backpackers and did Eurail.

The 2 year old spent every day for at least 4 to 6 hours in the backpack
The backpack was excellent.
Very very comfortable for both Josh and Me.
My husband carried a normal backpack with our clothes and I carried Josh, nappy pack, rain coats.

The hydration pack area made a great place for pass ports, camera cards and cards. It felt very safe because you could loop the zip over the buckle and it was very difficult to see that it was a pocket.

Josh still gets excited when I use it for walks back at home. I thought he would have been well and truly sick of it by now,

I think he has at least 1 -2 years left to use it. (3-4 years)

The two pockets are excellent.
The frame stand was used a lot.
He had no trouble falling asleep in it.
The mesh pockets are great for tissues and drink bottles or snacks.

We have a 5-month-old boy who weighs in at nearly…

Height of Owner: 6'5"
Price Paid: AUD359

We have a 5-month-old boy who weighs in at nearly 7 kgs. We have used the carrier 3 times now for about an hour each time walking on fairly easy bush trials.

Comfort levels for me are excellent. The hip strap carries the 6o% of the weight and the shoulder straps 40% making for a well balanced hike.

Our little boy absolutely loves it. I am 6'5" so his view is bird's eye! On an hour walk he will laugh, squeal and giggle for all of it, nearly making me deaf! He did fall asleep on one walk so obviously he is quite comfortable. He is not quite big enough to for the straps to be tight at their tightest settings however a folded hand towel on the seat has fixed that. The sunshade is excellent, doesn't block his view at all and provides a bit of protection from branches. Haven't used the rain protection yet.

The ability to include a Camelbak insert (2L) is great and there is enough storage for keys wallet phone small first aid kit a couple of nappies and maybe a sandwich if you don't mind it sharing a home with the nappies.

With enough support to run short bursts and rock hop etc I recommend this child carrier completely as it has given us the freedom to hit the trails again. The stand is excellent and very stable so it can also act as a child seat when stopping for a rest and we give him a feed of mash banana whilst he is still in it.