Doan Magnesium Fire Starting Tool

Great product, magnesium is easy to shave from the…

Summary

Great product, magnesium is easy to shave from the bar and the flint is attached solidly. All in all a great product to have in your kit.

Pros

• Good magnesium
  • Flint well attached

Cons

• Need to attach own striker

Burns white hot as it should. Mix this with some waxed jute or other tinder and even in miserable conditions you should get a fire started. Make sure you have something to strike the flint with and something that will collect a quarter sized pile of magnesium in and you're good to go.

If this is your first time using a mag bar practice in the backyard before you are depending on this to get you out of trouble in the backcountry.

They are effective. I got a good 3 in a package deal…

Summary

They are effective.

Pros

• Compact
  • 2-in-1 (flint stick + fuel)

Cons

• Shaving magnesium is hard
  • Does not have a striker

I got a good 3 in a package deal from Ebay and bought em. I was thinking of giving them a try when the time comes until checking if a prior review was posted or not. Not for this particular one, but I saw a not so good review about the very identical one by Coghlan's. I respect the guy's review about it being junk, but I can nowhere near state the same think for this one.

It comes in a plastic bag with instruction leaflet about how to hold it, shave from the magnesium edge, strike from the flint edge and everything. It's kind of tricky to get used to, however once you get a hold on to it, it is extremely efficient. Magnesium pile, it does catch fire (I personally put em to test and they lit, I even burned my finger), but I do not know if it is a must to do to get the fire to start. If the very initial bedding you will lit with a spark from this tool, is dry and fluffy enough to catch the fire by itself, then do not bother try to shave from the magnesium edge because the sparks from the flint is just big and plenty enough, they will definitely start your fire.

I can honestly say they are dependable.

If you've owned or used a Doan Magnesium Fire Starting Tool, please share your experience.