Dream Hammock DangerBird

An excellent four-season hammock that is built to…

Price Paid: $200--built to my specifications

Summary

An excellent four-season hammock that is built to the specification requests of the user. The quality and innovation of the DangerBird rivals any other hammock I have used. Customer service is outstanding—when planning and placing your order, you work directly with the people making your hammock, not a customer service representative.

Pros

• Hand-made in the USA
  • Quality construction and stitching
  • Custom-built to order
  • A four-season hammock
  • Customer service has been great

Cons

• Being custom built, there is a wait time
  • Like a single-wall tent, the "overcover" will build up condensation during the night if not vented

So, if you don't want to read the entire review (which you should), you can watch this video and then decide to buy your own Dream Hammock...

I spent several months investigating the right hammock for my needs. If I was going to spend quite a bit of money on a hand-made hammock, I wanted to make sure I bought the right one. While there are several high-quality hammock makers in the United States, Dream Hammock offered one of the few 4-seasons hammocks. I settled on the DangerBird for several reasons:

• In cold weather, the “overcover” adds 10-15F inside the hammock, blocking wind and moisture (although a tarp is still required, as the hammock is not waterproof).

• In buggy weather, the mosquito net deploys within seconds.

• The DangerBird was half the price of the other manufacturer I was looking at.

• Each hammock is custom-built to the user's specification: size, materials, colors, lay of hammock and optional add-ons

• Dream Hammock's reputation is outstanding.

• Owner Randy Smith (aka “Papa Smurf”) exchanged several helpful emails with me, answering my many questions.

Of the various options, I selected an 11' by 60”, single layer hammock made with 1.8oz olive ripstop nylon. I selected a black overcover. Based on my hanging preference, I ordered Left Lay Asym, meaning I prefer my head to the right of the hammock and my feet to the left. Although I had considered a wider hammock (some of the fabric options allow up to 72”), I found 60” to be sufficient. I selected a Whoopie Sling suspension over the Cinch Buckle option.

Like Dream Hammock's more expensive model, the ThunderBird, the DangerBird can be hung in three modes: Topless, Bug Net, and Overcover. The primary difference is that the Bug Net and Overcover cannot be completely removed from the DangerBird, as it can with the ThunderBird. While this makes the hammock consistently heavier when one of the modes is not needed, I concluded the difference was only a few ounces and I would probably carry both on any extended hike.

BUG MODE

The deployable Bug Net is made of .95oz Noseeum netting. When not in use, the netting stuffs into a mesh stuff sack at one end of the hammock. Zippers run on both sides of the hammock, allowing for entry from either side. It also allows for easier adjustment of an UnderQuilt.

DreamHammock-DangerBird-8-.jpg
Mosquito Netting Deployed

DreamHammock-DangerBird-6-.jpg
Zippers for Netting

DreamHammock-DangerBird-5-.jpg
Netting Stored

WINTER MODE

The Overcover is made of 1.1oz ripstop nylon. The overcover zips along the same track as the bug net, with its stuff sack located at the opposite end of the hammock. The Left Lay Asym built into the hammock works so that the user places his head toward the stuff sack he wishes to deploy.

DreamHammock-DangerBird.jpg
Overcover deployed (zipper and storage similar to netting)

OTHER FEATURES

The DangerBird comes with an integrated Ridgeline. Accompanying this is a handy 6.5”x14” Ridgeline Organizer, giving me a place to put my glasses, headlamp, and phone.

DreamHammock-DangerBird-1-.jpg

Tie outs on each side of the hammock are made with shock cord and adjustable guylines. These successfully keep the bug net or overcover off the sleeper's face.

DreamHammock-DangerBird-11-.jpg

Four grossgrain ribbon loops are provided to help the user hang his UnderQuilt. This is a feature I have not used yet.

DreamHammock-DangerBird-10-.jpg

The DangerBird comes with a double-ended stuff sack. This allows the hammock to be deployed and put away without separating the bag from the hammock.

DreamHammock-DangerBird-2-.jpg

DreamHammock-DangerBird-13-.jpg

The hammock comes with a full suspension system. In my case I selected Whoopie Slings and Tree Straps.

QUALITY

I can't say enough about the quality of this item. Attention to detail is seen in every aspect of the hammock. I was immediately impressed and commented on it to several people I camp with. When I showed it to a backpacking buddy who makes his own hammocks and tarps, the first thing he noticed was the superiority of the stitching. He told me how difficult it is to sew a zipper onto a curved hammock without bunching the fabric in spots. He also mentioned the stitches used in making the tree straps were superior to other tree straps he has seen.

DreamHammock-DangerBird-4-.jpg

DreamHammock-DangerBird-12-.jpg

WORTH THE WAIT

A nice feature of the website (www.dream-hammock.com) is the Order Status Page. When you place an order with Randy, you are given an Order Number. The Order Status Page lists what orders are being worked on, when the order was placed, and what the approximate wait time is until an order is fulfilled. Although a 4-week wait time defeats the urge for instant gratification, seeing one's order climb up the “In Progress” ladder gives a sense of expectancy—like waiting for Christmas morning.

SUMMARY

I left tent camping behind after purchasing a cheap clearance hammock and discovering a comfortable night's sleep. The comfort I have discovered in the DangerBird is exponentially better than any other hammock I have slept in. Short winter days make for long nights reading, doing crossword puzzles, and sleeping in a hammock (or tent). On a recent cool (31F), windy night, I spent a full 12-hours in this hammock, without any stiffness or soreness the next morning. At $200, the DangerBird is not a splurge purchase. However, it is far better than any other tent or hammock I have used.

soleful2001

Actually, for a product of this quality, $200.00 is not too bad. I paid almost that much for my Hennessey Asym Ultralite.

Carrie Van Alstine

I've never slept in a hammock, but it's sounding better as I get older. I would certainly want security and convenience. No one wants to be cold, wet, or buggy, so the accessories have to be reliable.

I completely agree the price is worth it. I just didn't want to drop $$ on an item that didn't meet my needs or my expectations.

Eric Labanauskas BRAND REP

What's the weight on this one, Goose?

My unit is 29oz including the suspension kit. I didn't list weight, as that is going to vary based on selected options. A buyer is selecting fabric weight, length, width, single or double layers, & suspension. You also pick your color. I've seen Dream Hammocks in hot pink, pumpkin orange, and winter white: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/1536690_269728333178863_510341542_n.jpg

Sean Harrison

This hammock seems very similar to the WarBonnet XLC in many ways.

Ben Rivers

Good review G00SE! I'm gonna check 'em out. May be something I invest in in the future!

@Sean, I think Eric Labanauskas just bought a Warbonnet. There are so many good cottage companies out there, it's a tough pick. Like I said in the review, I went through many months narrowing down my choice. I waffled back and forth between DH, WB, and Clark several times.

Eric Labanauskas BRAND REP

@Sean - Right-on, Goose. I've got a Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1 in the "second-generation" model, whose mesh mirrors the XLC (but is non-detachable). Just picked-up an over cover for it, too. If you want more info, Sean (or anyone else interested), feel more than free to send me a PM. Wouldn't want to hijack Goose's review, here, especially to talk-up a competitor's product!

Joseph Renow

Hey!...I know that guy in the video...I bet he is unhappy that there is no coffee in his hands yet! Seriously though...great review Goose...the Danger Bird is a lot of well-made hammock for 200.00. I wish I knew why the makers chose to keep the over-cover and mosquito netting attached? Also...I am curious about the mosquitoes getting to your bottom-side this summer. I have never used 1.9 nylon...but I have used a similar weight of polyester and a few of the more intrepid mosquitos got through (I did not treat the hammock with Permethrin).

Joseph, DH makes the ThunderBird that allows everything to detach. I figured on a long hike, I'd want it all anyway. You can custom order the DB as a double layer. I'm planning on treating with Permethrin this Monday, ahead of my R2R hike in 9 days.

B. Frost

where's the selfie with you laid back?!!!

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Excellent review, Goose! This looks awesome.

soleful2001

This review has me wanting one! dang it!

Sean Harrison

Wow, just got my Warbonnet XLC and it's uncanny how similar these two hammocks are.

Randy Smith

Hi everybody. I'm the owner of Dream Hammock and wanted to thank Goose for the excellent review and kind words. If I may help anybody by providing any information, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Thanks, Papa Smurf!

Randy Smith

Sean - The XLC is truly an awesome hammock that was first introduced a little over a year after I started offering the DangerBird. Though the 2 look similar, their construction and features are vastly different.

Sean Harrison

Randy - I will definitely be taking a look.

dirtwheels

Great review DH has great products, I was fortunate to have opportunity to view this and his other offerings last weekend at the Palmetto State Hangers Fall Sprawl. I really didn't want to leave without his new nighthawk in HyperD ripstop, that is the very best feeling material I've handled for a hammock. DH products were a definite hit and the event as about 100 hangers took time to experience Dream Hammock. Randy and his wife were very helpful and a joy to meet.

Dream Hammock DangerBird

The Dream Hammock DangerBird is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hammock, check out the best reviewed current models.