Eagles Nest Outfitters Guardian Bug Net

Mosquitos are just flat out annoying. This dandy tool…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Mosquitos are just flat out annoying. This dandy tool for hammock camping can help make your experience in the backcountry (or anywhere) a lot more enjoyable by keeping the pesky little bugs off of you during your peaceful slumber.

Pros

• Fine netting
  • Attached stuff sack
  • Packs small
  • Roomy
  • Well built

Cons

• Provided ridge line is very short
  • Could tear easily

The Guardian Bug Net is a great thing to have if you plan to hammock camp during months when insects will be out! Being bitten by mosquitos all night long can turn a good trip into a miserable one pretty quickly. With the bug net you can sleep worry free without having to cake on the bug spray.

The super fine netting keeps even the smallest of insects out of your space all night! Both ends of the bug net have draw chords to synch up the ends making this really a great protection from bugs.

Down the middle of the net is a zipper to allow you to climb in and out of your hammock with ease. This also ensure that there are no openings in the net.

When spread out, this bug net is pretty big. I have not ever felt cramped in it or felt like I wanted any more room. It will hang high enough above you that you can sit straight up in the hammock without ducking your head and it hangs low enough below the hammock where the bottom of the hammock will not be restricted by the net.

The only drawback I have with this bug net is that the provided ridge line is very short. Unless you are hanging between two trees that are very close together, you will want to bring along an extra strip of parachord or something. Just make sure that the bug net clips will fit on there before you take off into backcountry.

Eric Labanauskas

Agreed. Cord supplied for the ridgeline is not only short, but a flimsy material that doesn't seem to take a lot of weight. How high over the hammock do you hang your net, Ben? Props for the ENO reviews. Started using their gear in the fall and haven't slept on the ground since.

1 month ago
Ben Rivers

Hey Eric, yeah I rarely camp on the ground anymore! Love the hammock. I typically hang my bug net where the ridge line is at about the same height as my atlas straps on the anchor point. That seems to work best for me.

1 month ago

This bug net will save you the madness of being a…

Summary

This bug net will save you the madness of being a feeding ground for all the lovely little bugs in the woods! It is lightweight, and once you figure out how to set it up, it's a no-brainer!

Pros

• Lightweight and small
  • Easy to set up
  • Keeps all the bugs out!

Cons

• Net material can snag (not super easily, but be careful!)

I purchased this bug net specifically for a two week trip in the Sierra Nevadas, which can definitely be a buggy place! One morning I woke up, and before getting out of my hammock, I noticed a layer of bugs on the outside of the net—not one bug had attacked me during the night—and knew that my $60 was well spent!

The setup for this bug net is super easy—it's just a matter of figuring out where to place the cord to suspend the net, so it isn't too close to you while you are in the hammock.  If you hang it too low, then while you move around in your hammock, you can bump the net and make it unhook from the cord, which will just make it lay on your face--it will still work the same, it will just be annoying.

Another thing to note--the ENO bug net will only fit ENO hammocks perfectly. It will fit other hammocks inside it, but the ends of the ENO hammock will meet up with the exact measurements of the ENO bug net, which helps to keep bugs from getting into the ends of the net.

My friend (on the same Sierras trip) had an ENO bug net and a different brand hammock. The hammock was a bit longer than the bug net, so the hammock stuck out of either end of the net a bit, which worked fine, but we just had to rig it a little bit to make sure that no bugs could fly through the ends.

Overall, I would say that I am completely happy with this product! It is very light, and when packed, is a little bigger than a softball.

After a long day hiking with a full pack, a comfortable…

Summary

After a long day hiking with a full pack, a comfortable hammock is far more relaxing than sleeping on the ground or in a tent! It is also a lot faster to set up a hammock than a tent and easier to locate a suitable campsite.

Like with any choice of camping gear, there are trade-offs, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The hammock with a rain-fly and bug net, takes up less space in your pack than a tent. If camping in a region where there are no trees, you can still use the rain-fly and Guardian Bug Net with your hiking poles to set up a shelter.

Pros

• Makes sleeping in a hammock more comfortable
  • Lightweight and compact
  • Hammocks are great in warmer weather when bugs become a problem

Cons

• Can feel claustrophobic

I prefer a lighter pack and a comfortable night's sleep.  I do this with an ENOs Double Nest Hammock, tree straps, ENOs Rain-Fly, ENOs Pro-Fly Rain Tarp, ENOs Guardian Bug Net, a sleeping pad (for insulation), a sleeping bag (bag varies based on weather), and a felt Kelty bag liner.

I can set up virtually anywhere that I can find two trees (they're everywhere). Hammocks are intended for camping during the warmer seasons when bugs are a problem. The Guardian Bug Net fixes this problem. I also do like that I can hang all of my gear on the ropes, off the wet ground.

The one time that we camped in a location with only one suitable tree, I used a hiking pole to setup the rain-tarp and bug net as a shelter.  I ended up sleeping on my sleeping pad on the ground (which is basically what I would have been doing if I used a tent...).

This net keeps all the bugs away but takes practice…

Summary

This net keeps all the bugs away but takes practice to get it set up quickly. I would recommend this to anyone with an ENO hammock.

Pros

• Keeps bugs away
  • Lets breeze through
  • Plenty of room to move

Cons

• Difficult to set up
  • Heavy

I bought this bug net to go along with my ENO hammock set up. I have used it with the DoubleNest as well as the SingleNest.

This net keeps the insects out. I wake up looking at all the creepy crawlies that would have otherwise been on me and I'm thankful for it.

Setting up the net is not the easiest thing. I have found that if I set up the bug net before anything else I am able to make the set up go much faster.

So far I have not had any issue with the net snagging or tearing and I've been using it for 3 years now.

My only issue with the net is that it is somewhat weighty. It does pack small however.

It's big and durable, but it's also heavy and doesn't…

Price Paid: It was free.

It's big and durable, but it's also heavy and doesn't have any pull-outs on the sides to keep the netting away from the hammock. There is also a small space on each end that mosquitoes and other insects can get through.

Overall, this bug net is OK but there are probably lighter bug nets out there.

The Bug Net hangs far enough above you to keep you…

The Bug Net hangs far enough above you to keep you from getting claustrophobic, to keep the bugs from biting you through the net, and to make entry/exit easy, with just a little practice.

If you've owned or used an Eagles Nest Outfitters Guardian Bug Net, please share your experience.