Edelweiss Axis 10.3

This was my first rope and, I think, a very good one…

Summary

This was my first rope and, I think, a very good one for that purpose, but not much else. It's proven super durable over several seasons but has a high weight per meter that makes it as heavy as my 70m Sterling Velocity 9.8mm. Superb value including double dry treatment and a pretty decent rope bag.

Pros

• Excellent value
  • Comes with bag
  • Double dry treated

Cons

• Very heavy
  • Low quality rope bag
  • Mediocre handling

I bought my Edelweiss Axis 10.3mm rope in 2010 as my first climbing rope. I've used it for hundreds of sport and trad climbs including multipitch routes and despite its glaring drawbacks of weight and feel, I still have a soft spot for it and break it out for any hangdog day, beginner top-rope fest, or meandering trad climb.

It's never frayed much despite running over rock in undesirable situations. This thing has seemed pretty bombproof for a rope. I think it's a no-brainer for a first rope because it's tough as nails, treated, under $150 and has its own usable bag (which will eventually fall apart but hey, free bag.)

Weight won't really matter as you start out, but strong confidence in your line is critical and it will still be in good enough shape to be your 'B' rope in a few seasons when you eventually upgrade.

Thanks for the rope review, Johnny!

Edelweiss Axis 10.3

The Axis 10.3 has been discontinued.

The Edelweiss Axis 10.3 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 22, 2013 at Bentgate.com.

If you're looking for a new dynamic rope, check out the best reviewed current models.

Vargo Alcohol Fuel Bottle Review

NiteCore HC30 Review

A night on Black Balsam Knob cut short...

Mountain Hardwear UltraLamina 0° Review