eGear S-2 Tactical Torch

Bought from REI (black color) 2007 Overstock item.

Price Paid: $26 + TAX

Bought from REI (black color) 2007 Overstock item. Thank goodness for the return policy. The first one I bought had problems. When running more than 30 minutes on constant "on", the body of the flashlight got hot. Not long after that, I started to have flickering problems with both the momentary and constant on switch. The light would flicker then eventually die. I returned it for a full refund (owned it for about 2 months never dropped).

Months later the same item went on sale as a different color and for the same reason, 2007 Overstock item at REI. Thinking I might have had a bad batch, I bought another one. I'm barely losing out since I don't pay for shipping and with REI's awesome return policy I decided to give it another try this time with another color. Failed again. Same problem. Tried to contact manufacturer via email, no response. Going to return mine and find something reliable to spend my money on at REI.

If I were to guess what went wrong, the dc/dc converter or the advertised safety accidental "on" circuit might be faulty. The trigger might have been the body of the flashlight getting ridiculously hot.

Either way, you can't go camping with this. If you can't leave it on for that period of time without it going faulty, you'll get stuck in the dark.

eGear S-2 Tactical Torch

The S-2 Tactical Torch has been discontinued.

The eGear S-2 Tactical Torch is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 7, 2012 at Massey's Outfitters.

If you're looking for a new flashlight, check out the best reviewed current models.