Esquif Raven

Length 11.3 feet (3.43 m)
Width 30.5 inches (77.47 cm)
Weight 50 pounds (22.7 kg)
Material Royalex

When I first saw this boat I thought it was about…

Source: borrowed it

Summary

When I first saw this boat I thought it was about as ugly as a playboat could be. It's asymmetrical, with the stern being blunt and blimp shaped — almost a square stern. The bow is less so, but still hardly the lines I've paddled for years, Probe 11s and Probe 12s.

Paddling it was a completely different thing, though! This boat is faster than my Probes, surfs and ferries better, and just seems to glide across the current. It offers no surprises that the edgier boats do. The idea that it is only a beginner's boat is just not so.

I was on the river, class II-III, with a Viper 11, Probe 12, and an Ocoee (11 ft.). They were not doing anything I couldn't do. This is a great boat. I can't wait to get it on some good water.

Pros

• Easy and predictable to paddle.
  • Moves and plays very well.

Cons

• The reviews I've read don't do this boat justice. That might affect its resale value.

When I first saw this boat (the Esquif Raven) I thought it was the ugliest playboat I'd ever seen. It's asymmetrical, with the stern being blunt and blimp shaped - almost a square stern.  The bow is less so, but still hardly the lines I've paddled for years, Probe 11s and Probe 12s.  I wasn't expecting to enjoy paddling it.

Paddling it was a completely different thing, though! This boat is faster than my Probes, surfs and ferries - forward and backward - better, and just seems to glide across the current. It offers no surprises that the edgier boats do.  The idea that it is only a beginner's boat is just not so.  I was on the river - Class II-III - with a Viper 11, Probe 12, and an Ocoee (11 ft.).  They were not doing anything I couldn't do.

One of the "negatives" I've read is that the Raven doesn't get "feedback" from the river.  I've been boating Class III-IV water for over thirty years.  I've only paddled  Mohawks, the Probes mainly.  I tried the Viper, but never had the sharp chine do anything good for me.  I don't want or need for my boat to give me feedback or surprises.  Why does anyone want to paddle a boat that argues with him/her?!!

This is a great boat.  I can't wait to get it on some good water.

Esquif Raven

$1,320.00

The Esquif Raven is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new whitewater canoe, check out the best reviewed current models.