Eureka! Mountain Pass 2XTE

A great entry level tent if you are going to split…

Design: 3 season free standing dome
Ease of Setup: Tent is one of the easiest I have ever set up.
Weight: 6lb. 8oz.

Summary

A great entry level tent if you are going to split the load with a hiking companion. If you are carrying this yourself look elsewhere. There are much lighter options available.

Pros

• Robust materials
  • Ease of pitch
  • Hi-lo venting
  • Vestibule area is large
  • Can handle some snow
  • Can button up the interior (option of mesh/fabric inner entry points)

Cons

• Heavy
  • I personally am not a fan of the clear window on the fly.

Great tent. First time I used it I was deep in the backcountry. Temps dropped from 43 with steady rain to 23 with sleet/snow and woke up to everything coated in ice. Tent was covered in a film of ice as well.

tent1.jpg

I stayed very dry/comfortable and condensation was very minimal. I did not seam seal. The 2xte is a little tight as far as I am concerned for 2 people. I like elbow room.

The first time I set this tent up it was in the rain w/o instructions at night and set-up was very easy. 7 minutes easy.

The tent is a post and grommet design with 3 aluminum poles (2 frame 8.5mm and 1 for the fly 9.5mm)with clip attachments for the tent. It also has a center hub which is webbing with a dogbone. It has a bath-tub floor (5000mm)

downsized_1018091320.jpg

The fly(2000mm) is dual entry and has 4 vents, 2 top and 2 doggie-door style on the bottom that can be closed.

The fly is attached by placing a support pole(via 2 heavy duty pockets w/velcro in the center)into the center of the fly spanning both entry points to increases dry entry in inclimate weather. I have noticed that this also increases the tents rigidity.

The fly is then attached to the tent by velcro tabs to the frame poles and locking it into 4 quick release buckles (adjustable) on the tent body corners.

The fly has 4 guy points and there are 14 tent stakes total. It is a lot simpler than it sounds and the fly is clearly marked on 1 corner with bright orange webbing so putting the fly on the 1st time is the only time. Just match the orange corners.

The tent is a dual entry model with doors that can either be solid panels or zipped back with no-see-um mesh (which is very nice) and there are dual vestibules (equal size) with see-thru windows which hold my pack and gear rather easily.

1018091555.jpg

When set properly this is a VERY solid tent.

I have no doubt in its weather handling capabilities. I make my own ground cloths. There is a video on you tube that shows you how (not mine.) Yes, I do believe it could handle a snow load and no, I would not take it to Everest.

I spend weeks at a time in the backcountry and just about every weekend. This tent will definitely handle anything I can throw at it in regards to 3-season use. I would not use this tent in the winter above treeline.

mountain-pass-2-side-.jpg

The tent is a bit heavy but the materials (especially the fly) more than makes up for that. I honestly think that this tent is one of the top 3 three season tents on the market. I liked it so much I bought the Mountain Pass 3xte as well for my 2-man tent. After having the 2xte it was a no-brainer.

If the product works it works, if it doesn't trust me I will be one of the first people to let you know.

I in no way, shape, or form have any ties to Eureka or paid to support their products. It just works. 10 out of 10 from me. This is a grand slam. Happy hiking.

Update: November 28, 2011

The 2XTE is a great little shelter. The materials are really burly and I trust it in anything up to heavy snow loads. On the downside it is heavy.

Like I said about the 3XTE, if one splits this shelter up with a bud then it's doable, but for me it can be a hassle being I am solo 99.9% of the time I am out there.

Visit Eureka!'s Mountain Pass 2XTE page.

The Mountain Pass 2XTE features the best features of Eureka backcountry and expedition tents combine for an extremely durable tent that sets up fast.

- CampSaver.com

The best features of Eureka! backcountry and expedition tents combine for an extremely durable tent that sets up fast. The Mountain Pass XTE tent has additional head space in the vestibules that ensure a dry tent entry. Eureka!'s unique short bottom venting vestibules, combined with the high/low door venting system and interior mesh, create a chimney air flow system. Windows in the vestibules lighten up the tent on overcast days for views of the outside. The Mountain Pass 2XTE measures 7'6" x 5' x 4' high and weighs 7 lbs. The Mountain Pass 3XTE measures 7'5" x 6'5" x 4'2" high and weighs 7 lbs. 15 oz.

- Rocky Mountain Trail

The Eureka! Mountain Pass XTE tent has additional head space in the vestibules that ensure a dry tent entry. Eureka!’s unique short bottom venting vestibules, combined with the high/low door venting system and interior mesh, create a chimney air flow syst

- Teton Village Sports

If sleeping outdoors every weekend is a way of life instead of an occasional adventure, you need a tent that's going to stand up to the elements and to constant use. The Eureka Mountain Pass 2XTE Tent is a 2-person, 3-season shelter that features a tough aluminum frame and a waterproof fly to withstand years of rugged use.