Eureka! Mountain Pass 3XTE

I bought this after realizing my 2xte was better suited…

Design: 3 season+(IMO) free standing dome
Weight: Under 8lbs with replacement pegs
Price Paid: $230 (f/Eureka)

I bought this after realizing my 2xte was better suited as a solo (for me.) Everything I have stated (my review of the 2xte) holds true for the 3xte. Very solid when set properly. Vestibule space is great, interior tent space is roomy for 2, although 3 may be tight it would be livable.

Differences between the 2 and the 3:

1. weight, it's bigger what do ya expect? Dump the pegs and get a set of MSR Groundhogs. That will cut weight down.
  2. larger diameter poles 9.5mm & 11mm as opposed to 8.5mm and 9.5mm on the 2
  3. it's a foot and a half wider (7' 5"x6' 5") and the vestibules are larger

KT1-3-20-10-.jpg

Setup solo is easy, it is very weather resistant. The interior is not a bunch of mesh which is nice in cold temps/snow and the vents on the fly can be closed. The door panels can be completely closed or rolled back and just mesh covering entry points which is nice in the summer. If the weather turns nasty in warm temps the fly is equipped w/doggie door vents (2) at ground level (Hi-Lo venting) that can be opened but you and your gear will still stay dry. Combined with the roof vents (which can also be closed) this system works very well in warm temps.

All around it is a very nice shelter. Ventilation is very good. I would not hesitate to buy another. I have not seam sealed and have used this tent in some pretty nasty weather(driving rains, etc.) and it just shrugged it off without a leak anywhere.

A lot of 3 season tents are just that, 3 season tents (all mesh w/o the option of sealing it up.) I wanted something I could also use in the snow and the summer. This tent exceeds my needs with no problem at all.
mp3-inner.jpg

new4.jpg

Update: November 28, 2011

After much thought (and a few upgrades) I have come to the point that the weight of this model can be a real pain in the rear end.

If you are OK with that, then it's a solid shelter with pretty robust materials. If not, keep looking. There are other options out there.