Eureka! Wind River 4

Roomy, secure, stable (went through a hurricane).

Price Paid: Bought at retail.

Summary

Roomy, secure, stable (went through a hurricane). Warm rosy glow inside from the wine-colored fabric. The. best. tent. I. have. ever. owned. It is the standard to which others should be compared.

Cons

• A lttle heavy
  • Not bad with two people sharing the load

I lived in a Wind River for about a year while camping my way along the coastlines of Europe. It was wonderful.

Carefully guyed, it got us through a hurricane as we camped on a cliff over the Bay of Biscay (it was one of those rare hurricanes that turns toward Europe). One gust of about 110 mph did tip the tent, but we "walked" the floor back down.  The beautiful interior light is rosy, due to the color of the fabric. That's a real mood shifter: very it  cheerful.

The design allowed the two of us to keep our big packs inside, so we didn't need a vestibule. The zipper failed about a year into the trip, and when we returned home and sent it to Eureka, they replaced it free.

In my opinion, this is the best tent ever made, and its absence from the scene now shows that the decision-makers at Eureka (or whatever corporation may have swallowed them up) just don't know what they are doing.

I owned this tent for 2 months and used it 5 times…

I owned this tent for 2 months and used it 5 times before it was stolen out of the back of my car. I was in the Air Force stationed in Italy and I loved finding new spots to set up camp with friends for a night, this was a great reliable tent that was cool in the summer and held all my stuff with room for a twin air mattress.

I LOVED having the vestibule for it.

Thanks,

Matt

Very good tent. I need the vestibule replacement now.

Very good tent. I need the vestibule replacement now. I have had  it since 1987.

This is one of the greatest tents I have ever owned.

Ease of Setup: 15 to 20 mins. alone
Weight: ? 4-5-lbs.

This is one of the greatest tents I have ever owned. I also have a 2 man Timberline that I think very highly of, but the extra room in the Wind River is so worth the weight and price. I only wish that I could find another rain fly and I would be happy. I've had this tent for almost 20 years and the only failure has been the fly. It's hard to ask for more!

A wonderful tent that I have had since 1991, this…

Price Paid: S&R discount

A wonderful tent that I have had since 1991, this is my 19th year with it and it is still in great condition.

Only complaint is that I wish I bought the vestibule for it when I bought it and that it was resistant to the point of a weiner stick. If Eureka still made it I would buy another if mine ever wears out.

Happy Trails!

I have had my Eureka Wind River 4 since about 1987,…

Design: 3-season
Ease of Setup: fairly easy to set up, but a pain without help.
Weight: 8# ??

I have had my Eureka Wind River 4 since about 1987, and have loved it. I have stayed in it for several extended periods, actually leaving it up for months on end one summer. Dry, and comfortable/spacious for two or three people -- it actually will contain a full-size air mattress!

I am quite upset that it is no longer made as my fly recently succumbed to its UV damage and tore in multiple places. Does anyone have a good fly for sale?

This was a great tent. My wife and I have used it…

Design: three-season dome tent
Ease of Setup: easy
Weight: 9lbs

This was a great tent. My wife and I have used it for all of our hiking trips. But after 15 years, and a child, I need to retire it. The tent sleeves have started to rip from UV. I would love to replace it with another Wind River, but at least Eureka no longer sells this great model.

The tent withstood thunderstorms, light snowstorms, and heavy gusting winds without any problems, and always protected us and kept us dry. It had plenty of room to include our daughter and our two small dogs. I will miss it.

I have had a Eureka Wind River 4 for about 10 years.

Design: Free-Standing Dome
Ease of Setup: Moderate
Weight: 12 lb

I have had a Eureka Wind River 4 for about 10 years. As a long-term Scoutmaster, I have had the opportunity to see a lot of tents perform and fail to perform. I must say that the Wind River is the driest tent I have ever seen. It has stood up to 70mph winds and driving rain without any problems whatsoever.

In the summer, it is always cool if there is a breeze due to the excellent ventilation provided by the sleeves. The sleeves are a pain when setting the tent up or taking it down, but when the weather gets really ugly the sleeves are worth their weight in gold.

It is too bad that this fine tent is no longer on the market. I am looking for a vestibule for it. So if anyone has one and wants to sell it, let me know.

What an awesome tent! We finally had to give up our…

Design: geo-dome
Ease of Setup: medium
Price Paid: about $250

What an awesome tent! We finally had to give up our Wind River after about 15 years of loyal service. This tent was perfect before we added the third child. Set up is fairly easy for two people -- about 15 minutes once you get used to it -- but the rod pockets are a pain compared to today's clip systems.

It always kept us dry -- even in the worst wind and rain. We used the vestibule to store our gear and that left plenty of room for two people to spread out and have room on all sides of the sleeping bags. This tent stays warm during spring or fall nights and is comfortable even on hot summer nights. Just use the guy outs to let the air circulate.

It was with tears we packed this one away after the third child turned 1 year old. I'd recommend it highly for a couple or small family. Can't believe Eureka isn't selling them anymore. Looks like Cabelas has one that's very similar.

Eureka! Wind River 4

The Wind River 4 has been discontinued.

The Eureka! Wind River 4 is not available from the stores we monitor.