Exped Airmat 7.5

Weight 320 g / 11.3 oz (average) 355 g / 12.5 oz (average) -
Packed 21 x 7 cm / 8.3 x 2.8 in 21 x 7.5 cm / 8.3 x 3 in -
Temperature 11º C / 52º F 11º C / 52º F -
AirMat Basic 7.5
Size 163 x 50 x 7.5 cm / 64 x 20 x 3 in 183 x 50 x 7.5 cm / 72 x 20 x 3 in 190 x 65 x 7.5 cm / 75 x 26 in
Weight 500 g / 17.6 oz (average) 560 g / 19.8 oz (average) 740 g / 26.1 oz (average)
Packed 21 x 9.5 cm / 8.3 x 3.7 in 21 x 10 cm / 8.3 x 4 in 25 x 10 cm / 10 x 4 in
Temperature 11º C / 52º F 11º C / 52º F 11º C / 52º F

I have used the mattress in two different occasions…

I have used the mattress in two different occasions now and find it a welcome relief from my tried and true Therm-a-rest. At 63 I am more aware of the weight I carry than I was 20 years ago, so the 19 ounce weight was a pleasant surprise.

I am also a side sleeper and my frame no longer tolerated the lack of support I was getting from the previous pad. The Airmat allowed me to put as much air in it as I needed to be comfortable and do so with little effort. On both occasions I awoke in better condition after a night's sleep than I had for some time.

Getting all the air out and repacked took two efforts the first time, but by the tiem I had used it a second time I had already mastered the technique and had down the size required by the sack that came with it. One of my better buys in the area of camp gear in some time.

If there is a knock on the product, I haven't found it yet.

My wife and I got two of these pads as wedding gifts…

My wife and I got two of these pads as wedding gifts at the beginning of last summer. We have used them on quite a few outings since then.

Pros:
- very affordable
- extremely lightweight
- excellent compressability (fits into a very small stuff sack)as compared to the Therm-a-rests which take up quite a bit more room in your pack
- elevates you 3 inches or so off the ground and keeps you from sliding off the pad because of the grooves

Cons:
- not very durable. My wife's developed two pin sized holes when she used it outside the tent to read (granted this may have been some rough grass). But I used a Therm-a-rest for years even on dirt, pebbles, and roots and it stayed pretty much impenetrable. I have since used the patch kit for repair and we'll see how long it lasts.
- the design makes you feel like you're on a pool float which is kind of annoying when you turn over - a little noisy and shaky. It definitely feels different if you are used to sleeping on flatter surfaces.
- takes quite a bit longer to inflate because of the larger volume of air needed to fill it.

Conclusion:
If you pack light and small, are very careful with your equipment, and don't mind sleeping on something comparable to a pool float, this may be the perfect pad for you. I am now considering the Therm-a-rest Prolite3 and 4, but I may just stick with this one since I have a pretty small pack (GG Vapor Trail).

Visit Exped's Airmat 7.5 page.

Exped Airmat Basic Ul 7.5 Air MattressFor camping and hiking to warmer locations, get the Exped Airmat Basic Ul 7.5 Air Mattress. It is made of 20-denier fabric for an even lighter and compact mat. It comes with two low profile flat valves, one for inflation, and the other for deflation that ensures ease of use. As the valves are flat and not on the mat s edge they do not protrude and are therefore protected and durable. Its laminated polyester fabric is durable, airtight, and humidity resistant. The shell s top surface has brushed polyester fabric that provides excellent slip resistance and comfort next to the skin. The seams are high frequency welded for durability. A repair kit with adhesive and fabric patches comes included with this mattress. This airmat 7.5 air mattress can be inflated by mouth, with Exped pillow pump, or with the Exped mini pump. Take the Exped Airmat Basic Ul 7.5 Air Mattress along where every ounce counts.

- SunnySports

The rocky, root-riddled ground beneath your tent doesn't encourage good sleep, but the Exped AirMat Basic UL 7. 5 Sleeping Pad provides insulated cushioning for maximizing your time in snoozeville. Best for summer car camping or short backpacking trips, this tough mat improves your camping experience no matter where you decide to roll out your sleeping bag.

Meant for warm weather trips where reduced weight is important, the Exped AirmMat UltraLight 7.5 Sleeping Pad will give you the quality rest you deserve. Made of slip-resistant, durable polyester, this air mattress is airtight and humidity resistant. It has no insulation inside to decrease weight and pack size and comes with a repair kit for patching any punctures. Expeds proprietary, fabric lamination process creates air tight baffles and prevents moisture build up in the pad from destroying glues used in construction. This results in no loss of air over time. This comfy sleeping mat can be inflated by mouth or with Expeds air pumps (sold separately).

- Altrec Outdoors

Heading out for a weekend hike or a multiple month expedition, sleeping at night is key to success. Exped Llc AirMat Basic 7.5 is perfect for the hiker who wants to save on weight and have superior comfort, I can not see sleeping on anything else. PRODUCT FEATURES: AirMat Basic UL 7.5 is constructed with 20 denier fabric for an even lighter and compact mat Low profile FlatValves (pat. pend), one for inflation and the other for deflation ensure ease of use. As the valves are flat and not on the mat s edge they do not protrude and are therefore protected and durable Laminated polyester fabric is both durable, airtight and humidity resistant. The shell s top surface is of brushed polyester fabric that provides excellent slip resistance and comfort next to the skin The seams are high frequency welded for durability Included: repair kit with adhesive and fabric patches Small packaged size: the mats are folded in quarters and rolled to minimize size The R-value of all uninsulated air mats, like AirMat 7.5, can be enhanced by placing a fleece jacket or other clothing under the mat. This is not necessary for insulated mats like DownMat, SynMat, ComfortFoam Mat or SIM styles AirMat 7.5 is excellent for use in warmer climates and on trips where reduced weight is important AirMat 7.5 can be inflated by mouth or with Exped Pillow Pump or Exped Mini Pump

- Appalachian Outdoors