Exped Andromeda II

Capacity 2 adults
Weight 7.6 lb / 3.55 kg (Minimum), 8.7 lb / 3.95 kg (Packaged)
Area 31.2 sq ft / 2.9 sq m (Floor), 33.1 sq ft / 3.08 sq m (Vestibule)
Packed size 16 in x 8 in / 42 cm x 20 cm
Setup time 3.5 minutes

Great tent for space and weatherproof performance.

Price Paid: +/-$400

Summary

Great tent for space and weatherproof performance.

Pros

• Windproof
  • Rainproof
  • ROOMY
  • Excellent customer service
  • Tent body and fly go up together
  • Tunnel design set-up is quick.

Cons

• Maybe heavy for backpacking.
  • Harder to dry out than a freestanding tent when wet.

20131125-Snowcamp-2.jpg

I really enjoy using my Andromeda tent. Especially if I know the weather is going to be poor. I have owned 4 tents prior to this and it is by far the most weatherproof tent I have owned in my 40+ years of camping. It has kept me dry in every storm I have used it in and helped keep me warm when it's cold.

It is also the quietest tent I have used in windy conditions. The Andromeda is not a freestanding tent and as long as you have the space to set it up and a way to anchor it sets up fast and securely. If you are not familiar with anchoring in rocky or frozen conditions, it may take a while to figure out.

The space in both the tent and the vestibule are fantastic. This is especially true if you have to hold up for awhile. In either the tent or vestibule, I am able to sit comfortably in my Alite chair. Having the huge vestibule for bike panniers, packs, and wet clothes is a nice feature.

For me the biggest drawback to the tent is arranging a place to dry it out when I return from a wet outing. It is big and not able to support itself.

In response to the question about condensation: The ventilation is quite good. The rear window can be completely removed and there are two ridge vents. One side of the tent sits 3-4 inches off of the ground and in the summer I normally try to set that to the prevailing breeze to aid ventilation. Even in below freezing temps I am able to adjust venting to prevent moisture build up well.

How does it do with internal condensation?

Ja. R.

Great snow camping pic.

B. Frost

nice pitch by the way...

This is a minor (I believe) upgrade of the original…

Design: four-season non-freestanding hoop tent
Ease of Setup: excellent
Weight: around 8 pounds

This is a minor (I believe) upgrade of the original Andromeda. Please see my very favorable review of that tent.