Exped Andromeda II

Capacity 2 adults
Weight 7.6 lb / 3.55 kg (Minimum), 8.7 lb / 3.95 kg (Packaged)
Area 31.2 sq ft / 2.9 sq m (Floor), 33.1 sq ft / 3.08 sq m (Vestibule)
Packed size 16 in x 8 in / 42 cm x 20 cm
Setup time 3.5 minutes

Great tent for space and weatherproof performance.

Price Paid: +/-$400

Summary

Great tent for space and weatherproof performance.

Pros

• Windproof
  • Rainproof
  • ROOMY
  • Excellent customer service
  • Tent body and fly go up together
  • Tunnel design set-up is quick.

Cons

• Maybe heavy for backpacking.
  • Harder to dry out than a freestanding tent when wet.

20131125-Snowcamp-2.jpg

I really enjoy using my Andromeda tent. Especially if I know the weather is going to be poor. I have owned 4 tents prior to this and it is by far the most weatherproof tent I have owned in my 40+ years of camping. It has kept me dry in every storm I have used it in and helped keep me warm when it's cold.

It is also the quietest tent I have used in windy conditions. The Andromeda is not a freestanding tent and as long as you have the space to set it up and a way to anchor it sets up fast and securely. If you are not familiar with anchoring in rocky or frozen conditions, it may take a while to figure out.

The space in both the tent and the vestibule are fantastic. This is especially true if you have to hold up for awhile. In either the tent or vestibule, I am able to sit comfortably in my Alite chair. Having the huge vestibule for bike panniers, packs, and wet clothes is a nice feature.

For me the biggest drawback to the tent is arranging a place to dry it out when I return from a wet outing. It is big and not able to support itself.

In response to the question about condensation: The ventilation is quite good. The rear window can be completely removed and there are two ridge vents. One side of the tent sits 3-4 inches off of the ground and in the summer I normally try to set that to the prevailing breeze to aid ventilation. Even in below freezing temps I am able to adjust venting to prevent moisture build up well.

How does it do with internal condensation?

Ja. R.

Great snow camping pic.

B. Frost

nice pitch by the way...

This spacious tent is incredible for two people! There…

Summary

This spacious tent is incredible for two people! There is an option for a third person, although that would be a little crowded. A really convenient feature is that this tent pitches 'dry' as the inner tent is attached to the fly, great in stormy weather. Finally, the spacious vestibule offers a very large storage space that will keep your gear dry.

Pros

• Lots of room for two, room for three
  • Sets up dry in rainy weather
  • Large and spacious vestibule

Cons

• Vestibule door allows some rain when open
  • Large footprint that needs a large space for pitching

I can't say enough about this tent from Exped. It exudes quality from every angle. The tent pitches easily with the fly and the inner tent setting up in unison. This feature, called an exoskeleton, one of my favorite options, is very convenient in rainy weather as the inner tent stays completely dry.

Three equal length aluminum poles slide easily into the sleeves on the fly. For the initial setup all you need are four tent pins — put two in at the tail end, pull the tent from the other end and fasten down! Your tent is up and ready to use.

The vestibule offers a great intermediate space from the outside to the inner sleeping area. It can be used to change from wet clothing to dry before you enter the inner tent.

Sunny and hot? No problem! The fly can be opened up to provide excellent ventilation during those hot humid days. The number of combinations are great, and you can even pitch the tent without the fly or the fly without the tent. Stormy and wet? There are many options to secure the tent as a precaution against a howling gale and large downpour. Whatever your situation, this tent seems to accommodate it all.

When you are done camping, pack up the tent in a small and convenient 19"x8" (48cm x 19cm) package weighing in at about 7.5lbs (3.5kg). Finally, this tent comes with a great five-year warranty.

Welcome to Trailspace, Tony. Thanks for sharing your Exped tent review. I hope you'll keep us posted on it and your other gear. I'd love to see a pic too, if you're willing to share in your review.

FromSagetoSnow

Looks like a rad tent, kinda heavy for two.

This is a minor (I believe) upgrade of the original…

Design: four-season non-freestanding hoop tent
Ease of Setup: excellent
Weight: around 8 pounds

This is a minor (I believe) upgrade of the original Andromeda. Please see my very favorable review of that tent.

Exped Andromeda II

The Exped Andromeda II is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 23, 2014 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.