Exped DownMat Lite 5

Excellent inflatable sleeping pad for a great night's…

Summary

Excellent inflatable sleeping pad for a great night's sleep. Thick enough to keep side sleepers comfortable. Added insulation within the mat provides added warmth. Easy inflation with provided minipump or with the sold separately Exped Schnozzel Pumpbag.

Pros

• Quick and easy to inflate
  • Thick enough to be comfortable for side sleepers
  • Insulated to provide extra warmth
  • Durable material

Cons

• Only one valve for both inflation and deflation

This mat far exceeded my expectations after trying out several other brands and styles. I got the medium sized mat for comfort and warmth. Being an inflatable pad I was concerned about leaks and punctures. The material this pad is made of seems to be quite durable and has more of a fabric like feel. It does not feel like an inflatable pool mat. My sleeping bag does not slip and slide off of the mat either.

When inflated the pad is about 2 inches thick with the baffles along the edges of the pad being slightly bigger. I sleep on my side and found that the pad is thick enough to prevent hip pain that I have experienced while backpacking.

Use is a simple as unrolling, attaching the included minipump and pumping it up in a about two minutes. Since this pad only has one dual purpose valve, deflating is a slower and a little tedious in that you have to make sure the little plastic piece used to hold the valve open remains in place while squeezing the air out. A minor inconvenience and my only gripe. The mat comes with a stuff sack, repair kit, and minipump.

I was impressed with how well the insulation (R-4.1) worked to keep me warm on the cold ground. I have used in cold, rainy, dry, and warm conditions over the past 6 months. Other than having to add a touch more air if you inflate your mat in the warm afternoon and it cools as the night gets cold before you go to bed. I did not have to make any further adjustments once I went to bed. On a warmer night I was still comfortable. The mat remains untested in the heat of summer, I will update at that time.

This has quickly become one of my favorite pieces of gear because I sleep so comfortably on it. I would highly recommend it.

While the included minipump works just fine, I found the Exped Schnozzel Pumpbag is faster and easier and also dual purpose since you can also use it as a stuff sack. The pumpbag is sold separately for around $30.

9/20/2014 Update:

I have used this Exped mat almost every night I have camped this year. The two times I didn't, I didn't sleep. One time was to see if I could do with a lighter closed cell foam pad, my hips said no. The other time was to let my son borrow it so he could get a decent sleep after a restless night out on the John Muir Trail.

I have had no issues with leaks or wear, though I do inspect the area for sharp objects prior to setting down the pad. While it kept me warmer in the cooler months I didn't notice any discomfort in the heat of summer.

I have used the pumpbag exclusively since I purchased it. It is thick enough to "even out" a less than desirable tent site.

The only downside to using this sleeping pad is that it will spoil you quickly, particularly as a side sleeper. The weight of the pad is definitely worth carrying when a good comfortable night's sleep is the benefit.

Thanks for the gear updates, Barbara! It's helpful to know that the pad is still performing highly.