Exped DownMat Lite 5

Excellent inflatable sleeping pad for a great night's…

Summary

Excellent inflatable sleeping pad for a great night's sleep. Thick enough to keep side sleepers comfortable. Added insulation within the mat provides added warmth. Easy inflation with provided minipump or with the sold separately Exped Schnozzel Pumpbag.

Pros

• Quick and easy to inflate
  • Thick enough to be comfortable for side sleepers
  • Insulated to provide extra warmth
  • Durable material

Cons

• Only one valve for both inflation and deflation

This mat far exceeded my expectations after trying out several other brands and styles. I got the medium sized mat for comfort and warmth. Being an inflatable pad I was concerned about leaks and punctures. The material this pad is made of seems to be quite durable and has more of a fabric like feel. It does not feel like an inflatable pool mat. My sleeping bag does not slip and slide off of the mat either.

When inflated the pad is about 2 inches thick with the baffles along the edges of the pad being slightly bigger. I sleep on my side and found that the pad is thick enough to prevent hip pain that I have experienced while backpacking.

Use is a simple as unrolling, attaching the included minipump and pumping it up in a about two minutes. Since this pad only has one dual purpose valve, deflating is a slower and a little tedious in that you have to make sure the little plastic piece used to hold the valve open remains in place while squeezing the air out. A minor inconvenience and my only gripe. The mat comes with a stuff sack, repair kit, and minipump.

I was impressed with how well the insulation (R-4.1) worked to keep me warm on the cold ground. I have used in cold, rainy, dry, and warm conditions over the past 6 months. Other than having to add a touch more air if you inflate your mat in the warm afternoon and it cools as the night gets cold before you go to bed. I did not have to make any further adjustments once I went to bed. On a warmer night I was still comfortable. The mat remains untested in the heat of summer, I will update at that time.

This has quickly become one of my favorite pieces of gear because I sleep so comfortably on it. I would highly recommend it.

While the included minipump works just fine, I found the Exped Schnozzel Pumpbag is faster and easier and also dual purpose since you can also use it as a stuff sack. The pumpbag is sold separately for around $30.

Exped DownMat Lite 5 with Mini PumpThe Exped DownMat Lite 5 with Mini Pump is a great companion for those nights spent outdoors. The inside pad of this mat is made with soft and long-lasting 650 duck down fill power that gives you amazing warmth and comfort. It features a welded low profile valve that makes it easy to inflate and deflate this mat. Thanks to the mini pump that is included with the mat, you can inflate this product in about 2 minutes and you don t have to tire yourself from blowing. This handy product also features perimeter baffles that are slightly raised to keep you from sliding off. Snuggle down with this mat to stay warm and protected from the cold evening air. The Exped DownMat Lite 5 with Mini Pump serves you well on all those outdoor trips.

- SunnySports

Light in weight and price: the DownMat Lite offers great performance at an affordable price. Filled with down insulation, comfortable to lie on and compact to stow. Includes MiniPump for quick 2 minute inflation avoiding wetness entering the mat by mouth inflation.

- Ramsey Outdoor

Light in weight and price: the Exped DownMat Lite offers great performance at an affordable price. Filled with down insulation, comfortable to lie on and compact to stow.

- CampSaver.com

The down-insulated Exped DownMat Lite 5 air pad with MiniPump is lightweight and compact, and it provides excellent comfort all year round.

You only trust a down-filled sleeping bag for cold weather camping, so it makes sense that you'd choose the Exped DownMat Lite Sleeping Pad with Pump to round out your sleep gear. The pad is stuffed with 650-fill duck down for exceptional warmth on cold nights, and features two large air-only cells on either side that prevent you from rolling off the pad.