Exped Orion

Capacity 2 adults
Weight 6.8 lb / 3.1 kg (Minimum), 5.5 lb / 2.5 kg (LightPackers), 4.7 lb / 2.15 (UltraLight Packers), 8.2 lb / 3.7 kg (Packaged)
Area 29 sq ft / 2.7 sq m (Floor), 25 sq ft / 2.3 sq m (Vestibule)
Setup time 4 Minutes

A true freestanding, 4-season tent with exoskeleton…

Summary

A true freestanding, 4-season tent with exoskeleton and tons of vestibule storage.

Pros

• Freestanding
  • Exoskeleton - interior stays dry setting in rain
  • Mirror image doors/vestibules

Cons

• Slightly heavy

and sold me on this tent which I have owned for a year and a half.

It resides on my motorcycle while travelling around North America.

Setup: as fast as you can imagine — usually around 2 minutes with a little practice. I have only ever guyed it once in Southern California with high winds. I've never used a peg in it. Three poles all color coded and numbered makes it a no brainer. The inner tent remains attached to the fly so it always stays dry.

Stability — truly freestanding and pegs would make not difference to the tautness os the tent. Tested many times over in high winds. It was born in Switzerland.

I've been in many thunderstorms including Oklahoma in tornado alley and never a drop of moisture inside. The ventilation is superb with the 2 huge doors featuring mesh outer and fabric inner panels. Great cross ventilation even in humid, low wind areas. The bathtub floor keeps potential flooding out.

Headroom is phenomenal even with the included attic. There is huge vestibule storage at 23 sq ft - split equally between both sides so 2 people have their own personal storage space. There are storage nets on all four corners. Sometimes I forget which end of the tent I'm using for the entrance...

I like the way Exped has their packing system. The pole bag is divided into 3 separate areas for poles, pegs and extra lines. The tent bag opens from the bottom allowing the tent to drop in rather than fighting to slide the tent in and out. Well thought out as the rest of the tent.

So far I have used this tent over 30 nights all over North America in wind, rain, fog, heat and cold. It's met all my expectations and looks like new to this day.

I can't wait to get this home into the snow and get its full potential out.

IMG_0091-0.jpg

IMG_0088-0.jpg

IMG_0087-0.jpg
0-4434-OpenElement-FieldElemFormat-jpg.j

A 4-season tent that leans more toward summer. I am…

Summary

A 4-season tent that leans more toward summer.

Pros

• Good 4-season summer leaning tent
  • Large vestibule storage
  • Kind of freestanding (not if it's raining)
  • Strong in the wind

Cons

• Heavy and bulky
  • Setting up is not the easiest
  • Have some leakage problems on the ends

I am 6'4" tall, which limits many tents I can use. I bought this tent because of its versatility.

Setup: I can pitch it quickly but I don't think it is easy to set up. In the pouring rain it would have the advantage over some other styles by keeping the inside dry.

The poles go into sleeves that are kind of hard to find and difficult to push through quickly without tearing the material.  In the rain poles just don't slide the same. It is not truly freestanding as you definitely need stakes for rain setup. Without being staked out you will have leakage problems.

Stability: Tight and good wind resistance.

Weather Resistance: I did have leakage around the floor on both ends in very heavy rain. I figured out a solution, but I expected more from this level of tent.

Ventilation: No condensation problems.

Room & Storage: Good headroom and vestibule storage. It came with an inside shelf with 4 storage pocket on the sides. For me this is a one person tent. Two guys, my size, would be tight.

Packability: I think this is a bulky tent to pack for its size. Kind of heavy (7-8 lbs depending on stakes). I would classify it as a car camping tent. I guess it would OK if two people spilt it on backpack trip.

Ease of Use: It is a good tent but does not pack up quickly nor tightly.

Features: True 4-season tent leaning more toward great in summer with good in winter. Great ventilation for a 4-season tent.

Construction & Durability: I have already had a tear in a pole sleeve.

Conditions: I have camped in it from 20 to 90 deg. weather and in very heavy rain. Have not used it in snow. It is a comfortable ventilated summer tent but I don't think it is the warmest winter tent. I used it in below 20 deg. weather and was cold while my friend with a Bibler Eldorado 4-season tent was hot to the point of opening up his bag (same type bags and pads).  I don't think his Bibler would be comfortable in hot summer weather as it has limited ventilation nor could I fit in it.

I like the tent but would not buy it again, probably get an Airstream (just kidding).  If you are going to go this heavy in a tent than you might as well go to a 3-person (assuming you are my size).  Smaller people don't have my issues. For backpacking I use a Big Agnes Sarvis SL1, which is roomy for a little tent, but I have never used it in the winter.

Nice review of your Exped tent, smokykoko. Thanks for sharing it. I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of it in your review.