Exped Orion

Capacity 2 adults
Weight 6.8 lb / 3.1 kg (Minimum), 5.5 lb / 2.5 kg (LightPackers), 4.7 lb / 2.15 (UltraLight Packers), 8.2 lb / 3.7 kg (Packaged)
Area 29 sq ft / 2.7 sq m (Floor), 25 sq ft / 2.3 sq m (Vestibule)
Setup time 4 Minutes

A true freestanding, 4-season tent with exoskeleton…

Summary

A true freestanding, 4-season tent with exoskeleton and tons of vestibule storage.

Pros

• Freestanding
  • Exoskeleton - interior stays dry setting in rain
  • Mirror image doors/vestibules

Cons

• Slightly heavy

and sold me on this tent which I have owned for a year and a half.

It resides on my motorcycle while travelling around North America.

Setup: as fast as you can imagine — usually around 2 minutes with a little practice. I have only ever guyed it once in Southern California with high winds. I've never used a peg in it. Three poles all color coded and numbered makes it a no brainer. The inner tent remains attached to the fly so it always stays dry.

Stability — truly freestanding and pegs would make not difference to the tautness os the tent. Tested many times over in high winds. It was born in Switzerland.

I've been in many thunderstorms including Oklahoma in tornado alley and never a drop of moisture inside. The ventilation is superb with the 2 huge doors featuring mesh outer and fabric inner panels. Great cross ventilation even in humid, low wind areas. The bathtub floor keeps potential flooding out.

Headroom is phenomenal even with the included attic. There is huge vestibule storage at 23 sq ft - split equally between both sides so 2 people have their own personal storage space. There are storage nets on all four corners. Sometimes I forget which end of the tent I'm using for the entrance...

I like the way Exped has their packing system. The pole bag is divided into 3 separate areas for poles, pegs and extra lines. The tent bag opens from the bottom allowing the tent to drop in rather than fighting to slide the tent in and out. Well thought out as the rest of the tent.

So far I have used this tent over 30 nights all over North America in wind, rain, fog, heat and cold. It's met all my expectations and looks like new to this day.

I can't wait to get this home into the snow and get its full potential out.

IMG_0091-0.jpg

IMG_0088-0.jpg

IMG_0087-0.jpg
0-4434-OpenElement-FieldElemFormat-jpg.j

Exped Orion

The Exped Orion is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 17, 2014 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.