Exped Scout Tarp Extreme

I have carried this tent for a couple of years and…

Design: Tarp tent
Ease of Setup: A bit tricky at first
Weight: 2.5 pounds

I have carried this tent for a couple of years and think it is one of the best pieces of gear I own. It sets up quickly and provides a huge space for two. Exped suggests you could sleep up to four but I wouldn't. Condensation is a bit of a problem, so the people close to the walls might get a bit damp.

It has held up well to numerous storms including four plus inches of snow thanks to the taut pitch. If the wind shifts during the night I just shorten the front trekking pole for added protection. After backpacking for nearly forty years I find this simple tarp to be all the tent you need for most any three-season trip.

If you've owned or used an Exped Scout Tarp Extreme, please share your experience.

Exped Scout Tarp Extreme

The Exped Scout Tarp Extreme is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 12, 2014 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new tarp/shelter, check out the best reviewed current models.

Weight 1.76 lb / 0.8 kg (Tarp only), 2.4 lb / 1.2 kg (Packaged)
Area 11.4 ft x 9.4 ft / 3.5 m x 2.9 m (Flat), 11.4 ft x 7.9 ft / 3.5 m x 2.4 m (45° A-frame)
Packed size 10 in x 6 in / 25 cm x 15 cm