Exped Sirius Extreme

The exped sirius is a well thought out design. I bought…

Design: four seasons mountaineering
Ease of Setup: Easy
Weight: 6lbs

The exped sirius is a well thought out design. I bought it because it reminded me of my old sierra designs tunnel tent I had in the early '80s. The hoop or tunnel design just seems more roomy to me. This tent could fit two adults or one adult and two children very comfortably.

I just got back from a 3 day campout. The first night it was warm and in the mid 70s. However the tent ventillated nicely and I stayed quite cool. The second night it rained all night. Again the tent vented fine, there was a little condensation on the inside top of the tent but my down bag which touched the wall all night was bone dry. The third night the temperature really dropped and it got so chilly I had to zip up all the mesh doors in the tent. Although I thought for sure there would be condensation on the interior walls there was absolutely none.

It takes a couple of times to really learn how to set this tent up without wrinkles and because it's swiss made it's a little quirky yet cool. I bought the footprint and like it because the footprint comes out into the vestibule yet not out to the edges of the tent. The fly goes all the way to the ground and really keeps rain away from the inner cabin. Even though it was windy on night two I never used the security loops (extra guy lines) and felt I wouldn't really need to unless I were in 30mph or higher sustained winds with gusts. These stay out of the way in little net bags when not used.

The only thing I think I will modify is the tent stakes. It comes with a lot of 6" durapegs but I would prefer longer hook pegs. Overall I think this is a very good tent and I think it will work fine for reverse 3 season camping. I doubt I would want to use it for hot summer camping however.

Free Shipping. Exped Sirius Extreme Tent (Fall 2008) The Sirius Extreme Tent by Exped is a 2-3 person lightweight 4-season tent for backpacking, ski touring, and mountaineering. Specifications: Floor Area: 35 ft2/3.25 m2 Vestibule Area: 16 ft2/1.5 m2 Min weight: 6.2 lb./2.75 kg Max weight: 7.0 lb./3.2 kg Features: 2-sided, silicone-coated ripstop nylon rainfly Ripstop polyester canopy with no-see-um netting backed doors DAC Featherlite NSL poles: 9 mm Tent canopy suspended from poles Waterproof coated nylon floor with 10K mm water column performance One large vestibule; canopy can be unhooked and pushed back for extra floor space Windows reinforced with mosquito netting provide ventilation Flat pole sleeve on fly improves aerodynamics Sliding pole tension pocket for easy and quick set-up Rainfly or canopy can be erected separately

The Exped Sirius Extreme 2-Person 4-Season Tent's unique configuration and silicone-coated nylon fly shaves weight, increases strength in heavy winds, and makes this tent very fast and easy to set up, even in bad weather. Poles on the Sirius tent go through sleeves on the fly instead of the body. The body of the tent comes pre-connected, so when you pitch the fly, it sets up the tent as well. By putting the support on the outermost layer of the tent, Exped built this tent to be incredibly stable in the wind, which makes it an excellent choice for mountaineering and alpine climbing. This Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice winner also has a 16-square-foot vestibule and enough floor space to cram in three people if necessary. At lower elevations, leave the body behind to save weight, and pitch the fly by itself. Or, you can pitch the tent body alone on a warm day and enjoy the breeze through mesh windows.

Built to weather the worst, Exped's Sirius Extreme tent has the same durable, critically-acclaimed features found in the award-winning Sirius tent with less weight and a waterproof two-sided, silicone-coated ripstop nylon rainfly. Backpacker Magazine gave the Exped Sirius tent top marks for low weight and space that feels like a three-person tent, but Europe's Outdoor Magazin (that's not a typo in the name) recognized the weather protection in the tunnel tent architecture. No matter which characteristics appeal more to you, you'll appreciate the fast and easy setup that one person can pitch (four stakes!) in roughly two minutes. Windows open from the inside for convenience and feature bug netting to keep any biters at bay. Like other top Exped tents, the Sirius Extreme tent features color-coded and reflective elements, making it easy for beginners to pitch right on their first try.

- Altrec Outdoors

FREE Shipping on orders over $50. 1-800-986-0656 The OR Sirius Extreme is a burly tent for winter camping or high alpine trekking.

- Powderfin.com

Exped Sirius Extreme

The Sirius Extreme has been discontinued.

The Exped Sirius Extreme is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 1, 2009 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.