Extrasport Splash Top - Short Sleeve

An excellent splash top that I was able to purchase…

Summary

An excellent splash top that I was able to purchase on a steep discount.

Pros

• keep you mostly dry
  • protects from the wind and spray
  • keeps you warm out on the water
  • comfortable to paddle in
  • doubles as a rain jacket

Cons

• not as breathable as some hiking shells

I have one (in grey) and also the long-sleeve version (red and white). They were both sold at a steep discount on STP, which is why I bought them without really realizing the utility. But I have since discovered that paddling jackets are far superior to wearing a regular rain jacket or shell, because the arm and neck gaskets keep water from running down your sleeves as you lift your arms to take a stroke. They are also cut so that you have plenty of space in the shoulders, which doesn't limit your paddling movements like a regular jacket might.

I mostly use the long sleeve as my primary jacket when I do extended trips in the Everglades, both in my kayak and sometimes for hiking. It serves well as a windbreaker, paddling jacket, jacket for cool days, and even as a rain jacket in the occasional downpour..though I found I needed a rain hat to keep the water from running down my neck through the neoprene gasket. I even slept in it a couple nights because I was chilled in my hammock. They pack down really well too, almost taking up no space. It is a great multi-purpose garment.

PC280010.jpg
(me on the far right. I always wear my PFD over the jacket but hadn't donned it yet. Usually it's too hot to paddle in a jacket in Florida but on the rare winter day that you need one, you'll be glad you have it! It was a high in the low 50's the day we set out for our Wilderness Waterway paddle...in fact, it is the only time I have seen frost in Florida. The Park Ranger stated that we were crazy for going out in such cold weather. The wind chill on the water made it feel even colder. I was very happy for my jacket and hat.)

IMGP0782.jpg

Fit: The neoprene cuffs are adjustable and the jacket has one zippered external pocket, though I don't find it very useful because I'm usually wearing a PFD that has a large pocket. The seams are all taped. The material is not as breathable as most dedicated hiking shells but still decent.

PC290061.jpg
PC290062.jpg

Extrasport Splash Top - Short Sleeve

The Splash Top - Short Sleeve has been discontinued.

The Extrasport Splash Top - Short Sleeve is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 22, 2010 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new short sleeve paddle jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.