Feathered Friends Frontpoint Vest

If you want what is probably one of the warmest vests…

Fabric: Gore Dryloft (laminated to ripstop nylon)
Fill: 800+ fill power goosedown

If you want what is probably one of the warmest vests made, look no further. This vest features baffled construction (no cold spots as with sewn-through designs) and a fleece lined collar (nice touch). The cut is trim, so if you want to wear a bulky sweater underneath, you should probably go one size up. The cut of the vest seems to be an inch or so shorter than the Marmot or North Face down vests -- it goes below the waist, but doesn't extend over the hips at all.

Forget about 'styling and profiling' with this piece -- the loft is so tremendous that it makes you look like you've gained 25 pounds. My one nitpick about the vest is the elasticized waistband -- I prefer designs that have a hem drawcord. Occasionally, I have to stick my hands into the pockets to pull the vest down. I think the snug fit and super loft combine to allow the vest to ride up after a while.

As with Feathered Friends products in general, the vest is somewhat pricey. On the other hand, I know of nothing else out there that is as warm and windproof for any less money.

Feathered Friends Frontpoint Vest

The Frontpoint Vest has been discontinued.

The Feathered Friends Frontpoint Vest is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new down insulated vest, check out the best reviewed current models.