Feathered Friends Volant Jacket

I have had this coat for a month now. My only "complaint"…

Fill: 850 down

I have had this coat for a month now. My only "complaint" is that it may be too warm. Just to test the jacket, I walked outside in 10 degree F with a slight breeze for 45 min. I only wore a T-shirt under the jacket and only my legs and face got cool. The hood acted as both a hat and a scarf.

Today, it's 2 degrees F with a slight breeze. I went for a walk with the jacket, a hat, long underwear, and a light sweater. I was a little too warm. I'm a bit overweight, so maybe a thinner person would have been cooler.

I also wore the coat for 5 hours in an ice storm while skiing downhill at night (The wind was about 15 mph. The ice would coat my goggles and coat during the chair lift ride.) Later the ice turned to rain. My upper half was quite comfortable. Early in the evening, I was a bit too hot because I had worn a light sweater, so I loosened the elastic band at the bottom of the coat to get some cool air under the coat while skiing. That worked great.

I also looked at the Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero Jacket and the Marmot Jackets. That looked great, but I decided on the Feathered Friends because it extended a little further below the waist.

So, in summary, the coat is great for cold weather and even better for very cold weather, but too warm for milder weather.

Also, the people at Feathered Friends were quite friendly on the phone. :)

Hans

This jacket is truly one of my prized possessions.

Fabric: Gore-Tex
Fill: 700-Fill
Price Paid: $265 +Sh

This jacket is truly one of my prized possessions. The construction of this jacket is unsurpassed. I have worn this for four winters now, thru everything Mother Nature could throw at it...and it's as as sturdy as the day it arrived. Dealing with Feathered Friends, however, is a trip into La-La Land. I swear all their phone reps are on Vallium. But if you're willing to overlook that, you'll get the lightest, driest, strongest, hippest down jacket on the planet.

If you've owned or used a Feathered Friends Volant Jacket, please share your experience.

Feathered Friends Volant Jacket

The Feathered Friends Volant Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 11, 2008 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new down insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.