Firebox Master Combo Kit
The folding FireBox Master Combo Kit is very well…
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $129.95
The folding FireBox Master Combo Kit is very well made, cleverly designed, American made and works great. Boiling water and cooking food with bits of wood (and other combustible fuels) that's found along the trail saves me weight from hauling white gas or propane. The owners (Steve & Shantale) were polite and helpful. They gave me a military discount and they still offer free shipping.
- foldable under 1/2"
- easily packable
- sturdy steel
- due to the design the mini-wood stove cranks out some BTU's.
Hello, Campers ~
After using multi-fuel stoves for recreational camping and military operations for many years I began a search for a lightweight, miniature wood-burning stove. After finding a few companies (online) these little stoves peaked my interest and I ended up talking with the owners of the FIREBOX company in Provo Utah, Steve and Shantale. Their website has many instructional videos which were helpful to me in deciding to purchase their Master Combo Kit.
They mailed it out via USPS Priority Mail and I got it very quickly. Though it was cold and snowy out (northern Michigan) I was excited about packing my ruck and heading out with our Husky 'Jake' for an overnight camp-out to test this new kit.
The FIREBOX Master Combo Kit consists of the following items:
1. Firebox Folding Stove: a 5" Folding Campfire Stove ($49.99 for just the stove). After starting a fire the first usage of the stove was to melt/boil a pot of snow for drinking and for cooking some dehydrated food. The way the ventilation cut-outs are designed aided in creating a very hot and well directed fire. It didn't take long to get the water boiling.
2. Boil Plate, have not yet used the boil plate but it appears serviceable and strong enough to hold a lot of weight a top the stove
3. Grill Plate, grilled up some small steaks over the fire for Husky 'Jake' and I. Works great and cleans up easy.
4. extra set of Fire Sticks, four (4) of 'em. Two will fit into grooves along the top of the stove to support a heavy kettle, pot, etc. With the extra two 'fire sticks' I was able to use them for putting the grill plate in position (protecting your hands while the fire is blazing).
5. black D-ring organizer case, American made, black nylon w/U.S. flag and a generous amount of velcro to secure the kit with a room to spare for a few small items; it's well constructed and should last a very long time.
6. Wilderness Innovations Fire Starting Kit: I used the Wilderness Innovations magnesium/flint to light some lint and tinder. It was simple and effective using only a few strikes on the flint. The short shock-cord attached to the scraper is handy and overall it's a great tool. Mr. Perry Peacock's Concentrator-Paper and W.I. FireStix is a great idea. While I understand how it works I'm not going to use these two items save for an emergency situation.
7. Olicamp stainless steel cup: the cup is a nice feature that the Nalgene bottle slips into, which is a space-saver for your rucksack. It's also serves as a measuring cup (up to 16 oz.'s).
8. 32oz wide mouth Nalgene water bottle: BPA free!
9. GSI 8.5-inch square pan: this pan is 'the ticket' as it's a No-Stick and easy to clean pan. The Black D-ring organizer case (with stove and kit) easily fits into the GSI square pan: all of which tucks well into my ruck-sack
Here are some instructional videos of the kit in action: http://foldingfirebox.com/video-tutorials/
I'm stoked with this new kit and it's liberating to be free of hauling fuel bottles. Hope this review will serve to be of assistance to you. Take care...
disabled, combat veteran of U.S. Naval Special Warfare
"Salvation is of the LORD." -Jonah 2:9c [AV]
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My word, and
believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall
not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."
-John 5:24 [KJV]
---Jesus Christ the LORD, sent by the Father to effectually & fully SAVE poor,
needy, wretched sinners by His own SOVEREIGN FREE GRACE and by His
PERFECT RIGHTEOUSNESS charged to our accounts!
Includes Firebox Folding Stove, Boil Plate, Grill Plate, extra set of Fire Sticks, black D-ring organizer case, Wilderness Innovations Fire Starting Kit, Olicamp stainless steel cup, 32oz wide mouth Nalgene water bottle and GSI 8.5-inch square pan.