Five Ten Ascent

Gauranteed, any shoe that is made by Five Ten I will…

Pros

• Straps

Cons

• Laces

Gauranteed, any shoe that is made by Five Ten I will stand by. Their products are solid and worth their value. I have narrow feet and can tell that Five Ten shoe fits really well for my foot..but that all depends on your feet measurements and sizes...buy a pair.

I purchased this pair of shoes roughly four years…

Materials: Leather
Use: long trad routes, slab climbing
Break-in Period: 2 weeks (a little stretch)

I purchased this pair of shoes roughly four years ago and use them esclusively on long trad routes. The EVO sole cushions impact on descents and boudering, but for me it serves its purpose hanging out on belay ledges. They smear on both low and high angle friction like a dream as the C4 rubber is just amazing.

I wanted to size them a 1/2 size larger to accomodate the digets, knowing full well that the purpose for these shoes was of the "all day" nature. I feel, despite my decision for comfort, that I lost little to no performance. They edge nicely, though not quite as good as their counter part the VCS or Galileo, but sufficient for what I climb with them.

The velcro makes them great for easy on easy off changovers and the sensitivity rivals that of the Moccasym. Some find the split padded tongue a hinderance, and I have even heard it said that it makes the shoe a bit sloppy and hot. I have found neither to be true, but certainly any time you add padding to a shoe, some compromises will have to be made. This is a great intermediate, to advanced intermediate shoe and can't be beat on the epic journey on stone we often take!

If you've owned or used a Five Ten Ascent, please share your experience.

Five Ten Ascent

The Ascent has been discontinued.

The Five Ten Ascent is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 30, 2010 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new climbing shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.