Five Ten Five Tennie

I am starting to have some mixed emotions about 5.10.

Summary

I am starting to have some mixed emotions about 5.10. I love the stickiness of their stealth rubber, but I am not fond of the glue they use to attach soles.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Great traction

Cons

• Durabilty

The Approach Tennie is made of leather with some nylon mesh for breathability. The split-grain is supposed to repel dirt and mud, but apparently it does not repel sand. There are a couple shortcomings with this shoe, but stealth C4 rubber soles are still the best traction, in my opinion, that money can buy. The shoe is pretty comfortable, but you need to order a ½ size up as they run a little small

I was pretty excited to try out these Approach Tennie’s even though I had a few doubts about the little rubber piece on the toe.  Retail price is $109 I found them on sale for $32 so I was not that put out when they started falling apart after less than a month’s use. I wore them maybe 10 times. I have run a couple mile long trails, scrambled up a few sandstone cliffs and boulders in Zion. I even crossed the river in them a few times.

As you can see from the picture the rubber on the toe has started to peel and the sole is starting to separate in a few spots.
DSCF9205.jpg
DSCF9206.jpg

Visit Five Ten's Five Tennie page.

Lightweight, high-strength, compact locking carabiner

- RockCreek

Five Ten made the Women's Five Tennie Shoe to look like a classic running kick, but crafted the outsole with super-sticky Stealth rubber so you can stick to the rock like a superhero. Lightweight leather uppers protect your feet from abrasion and hazards when you're scrambling through a scree field on your way to the wall. Rather than reaching for your hiking boots on a hot summer day, toss on the Tennie Shoe and go lightweight until it's time to slap on your climbing kicks.

The original approach shoe, the Five Tennie, combined the comfort of a sneaker with the super high-friction Stealth rubber outsoles. Our NEW Five Tennie brings back this classic kick--with state-of-the-art light-weight materials, a low-profile toe built for climbing, and all-day casual performance. Climb, walk, scramble, stroll--a must-have for anyone who travels from road to rock.

- CampSaver.com

CLOSEOUTS . A casual sneaker vibe with an approach shoe capability, Five Ten's Five Tennie shoes can scale variable terrain and handle a little off-trail debris, as well. Available Colors: BLUE, GREEN, RED. Sizes: 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5, 12, 13.

- Sierra Trading Post