Five Ten Five Tennie

I am starting to have some mixed emotions about 5.10.

Summary

I am starting to have some mixed emotions about 5.10. I love the stickiness of their stealth rubber, but I am not fond of the glue they use to attach soles.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Great traction

Cons

• Durabilty

The Approach Tennie is made of leather with some nylon mesh for breathability. The split-grain is supposed to repel dirt and mud, but apparently it does not repel sand. There are a couple shortcomings with this shoe, but stealth C4 rubber soles are still the best traction, in my opinion, that money can buy. The shoe is pretty comfortable, but you need to order a ½ size up as they run a little small

I was pretty excited to try out these Approach Tennie’s even though I had a few doubts about the little rubber piece on the toe.  Retail price is $109 I found them on sale for $32 so I was not that put out when they started falling apart after less than a month’s use. I wore them maybe 10 times. I have run a couple mile long trails, scrambled up a few sandstone cliffs and boulders in Zion. I even crossed the river in them a few times.

As you can see from the picture the rubber on the toe has started to peel and the sole is starting to separate in a few spots.
DSCF9205.jpg
DSCF9206.jpg

Five Ten Five Tennie

The Five Ten Five Tennie is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 13, 2014 at RockCreek.

If you're looking for a new approach shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.