Five Ten Insight

When these were intact for the first few months, I…

When these were intact for the first few months, I considered them the best shoes I have ever had. The soft climbing rubber on the tips of the sole made me feel like Spiderman scrambling up rock. They were comfy, with ankle support and are light weight.

My biggest gripe is the fact that dirt would get into my toes incessantly. The marks were on my socks between my big and next toes. I use low gaiters to keep out the scree from the top, but the soil was getting in from the beginning of the laces. Also these shoes are not even vaguely water resistant.

I abused these these with garden work and long hikes and eventually the sides of the soles disintegrated, and they were turfed.

I would suggest trying the 5.10 Camp 4's. They look a bit less leaky.

I look forward to a solid breathable 5.10 shoe that maintains the Insight's sole, with an impenetrable waterproof upper. It would be perfect.

Some day.

5600h[p

Breathable shoe with impenetrable waterproof upper don't seem to go together :)

Euphorbia

I would agree. I have the same dirt issue with the Camp 4s I have had for a coupla years now... I want soles and support like the Camp 4, with just plain leather uppers. I will sacrifice cool feet for non muddy toes.

Euphorbia

I just checked out the REI sale, 69$... Had to resist an impulse buy.

1 year ago

Bought to go on short day hikes in Moab, the Wasatch,…

Materials: leather and stealth c4 rubber very sticky
Use: light hikes 3-10 miles
Break-in Period: none

Bought to go on short day hikes in Moab, the Wasatch, and Unitas. They are so comfortable I wear them as my everyday shoe. Best hiking shoe/boot I have ever purchased! They have the best grip of any shoe I have ever had. Only complaint is that they are a little warm for Moab, but on the flip side of that you don’t get all that fine red sand stuck between your toes at the end of the day. I’m interested in trying the Five Ten Camp Fours next.

I have a 4e width! To find a shoe that fits out of…

Materials: Please see a factory description.
Use: Approach, 2-4th class climbing.
Break-in Period: None!
Weight: Lighter then my Vasque Sundowners!

I have a 4e width! To find a shoe that fits out of the box is an event of near epic perportions. The lacing on the Insight allows you to really fine tune the shoe. Two 2-3rd class climbing trips to the Eastern Sierra without a single glitch... I ordered two more pairs. The durability issues with 5-10 do not seem to be popping up with the Insight. Believe it or not, the shoes are almost too grippy.

Visit Five Ten's Men's Insight page.

Description of Teva Riva Leather eVent Hiking ShoesThe Riva Leather eVent is a durable and supportive hiking shoe that can handle any task. The Vibram outsole ensures that youll always have traction, while the full-grain leather upper and eVent waterproof membrane keep your feet dry and comfortable. So whether its a short day hike or a multiple day excursion up to the snow level, the Riva Leather eVent will take good care of you.FeaturesShoc PadeVent fabricDirect Ventingt Technology

- US Outdoor Store refers to the men's version

This shoe is versatile comfortable cool looking and built tough to handle dirt mud scree talus AND steep rock The Insight incorporates a number of Five Ten rock shoe features for higher performance including Stealth C4S1 comolded outsoles slingshot rands and lacetotoe styling Nubuck leather upper with protective toe rand provides excellent abrasion resistance Sizes 712 13 Weight Size9 160oz45359g

- Bentgate.com refers to the men's version

Five Ten's Insight is a true multi-sport award winner. The upper is breathable and supportive and the Stealth co-molded outsole provides maximum traction. This shoe is versatile, comfortable, cool looking and built tough to handle dirt, mud, scree, talus and steep rock.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

The Five Ten(R) Insight hiking shoes sport a high-top ankle cuff for support to handle dirt, mud, scree, talus, and steep rock on approaches. Synthetic leather and flexible nubuck leather uppers supply ample comfort for all-day wear. Rubber toe and slingshot heel randing protects feet and uppers from bumps and abrasion while ensuring a secure fit. Features secure laces and tongues plus heel loops that aid in entry and exit. Wicking nylon mesh linings absorb excess moisture and dry quickly for enhanced comfort. Removable footbeds add cushioning and moisture management underfoot. Compression-molded EVA midsoles keep feet comfortable when the going gets rough. High-friction, durable rubber outsoles have differing densities for ample traction and grip on all surfaces. Closeout.

- REI refers to the men's version

Five Ten Insight

$134.95 (men's)

The Five Ten Insight is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 11, 2013 at Bentgate.com.

If you're looking for a new approach shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.