Five Ten Newton

Comfortable and decent performance Not a real aggressive…

Comfortable and decent performance

• Decent price
  • Solid forefoot

• Not very aggressize

Not a real aggressive shoe, but comfortable enough to make standing around not a painful experience. I like the heavier sole at the front; provides decent support when going straight in, and good for edging. The only climbing shoe I've found that doesn't torture my frostbitten toes.

The 's' lacing lets you get a real nice fit all the way down, and allows compensation for a higher arch or a wider foot. I've always likedĀ  Five Ten's rubber, and this is no exception. The smearing isn't great, but it works well enough on most surfaces.

Like the previous poster, I had to go a size large! Tried an 11, my usual street size, and had to bump up to a size 12.

A very nice shoe for all but the most radical climbs!

Materials: "cowdura" a fake leather (won't stretch)
Use: high-level technical rock climbing
Break-in Period: short
Weight: less than a pound?

A very nice shoe for all but the most radical climbs! They are primarily great edging shoes, yet they do not have the toe-down, radical shape that you see in shoes designed for the most modern sport climbs.

They fit my feet really well. They are not so uncomfortable that I can't wear them for longer climbs. The chisel toe works well in thin cracks and pockets. Five Ten Stealth C4 rubber is simply the best. These puppies stick to everything well. I climb primarily trad style up to 5.11 or so - usually on granite and schist (New England). These have become my trusted partners on all my harder climbs except smearing slabs. I have also used them indoors and for bouldering. They really do edge extremely well. They make standing around on dime edges a much more tenable proposition.

They offer decent sensitivity but are certainly not world-class in that department. I feel that sensitivity has improved with break-in; or it could be that I'm just now totally used to them and feel confident in them.

The upper is made from a faux leather that Five Ten calls 'Cowdura'. This is great in that it has good feel and doesn't stretch.

Sizing: my street shoe size is 8.5. My Newtons are a size 9. I was surprised at this. Usually I have to size down from my street shoe size.

Five Ten Newton

The Five Ten Newton is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 14, 2015 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new climbing shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.