Five Ten Spire

Perfect entry shoe. After 4 years of occasional use…

Materials: leather + rubber
Use: entry-level & long climbs
Break-in Period: days
Price Paid: $100-ish

Perfect entry shoe. After 4 years of occasional use on easy routes, mine have finally blown through... so they last pretty well.

Very comfortable, very sticky rubber. Not an aggressive shoe at all. Everyone should have a pair for easy multi-pitch slabs.

The Five Ten Spire is one of the best all-around comfort…

Materials: leather
Use: relaxed climbing, ratings up to v7 and 5.11
Break-in Period: virtually none. should feel great right away. these do stretch!

The Five Ten Spire is one of the best all-around comfort shoes there is. It's great for wearing on long sessions. I'd recommend this shoe to any beginner, in fact my mother, father, and myself all have a pair of these (yes, they work for men and women).

These shoes DO stretch. While you don't want to buy a shoe too tight as a beginner, the more technical you get the more you'll realize these do end up conforming to your foot and if you don't buy a little tight you might end up getting some pocketing here or there.

I bought mine just over a year ago and have climbed quite often both indoors and outdoors, so they stand up to a lot of wear.

It is not the most technical shoe in the world but has gotten me through v6/v7 boulder problems and 5.11c climbs. I'll be moving on to a more technical shoe shortly but will always keep a pair of these around for those lazy days when I'm not so worried about performance and would rather something soft and comfortable.

I used these shoes for my rock climbing training class…

Weight: 120 lbs.

I used these shoes for my rock climbing training class and they were great. After the class I started using 5-10 Anasazi's and I liked those even more. 5-10 makes great shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!