Sturdy built and well thought features such as pocket…

Price Paid: 120 $ CAN

Summary

Sturdy built and well thought features such as pocket layout and gaiter hook.

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Good pocket layout
  • Generous pocket size

Cons

• Cold on winter weather
  • No back pockets

I got these pants to replace my ski winter pants a few weeks ago but started to wear them regularly. They are quite comfy. I like the pocket layout. Also they are very good looking pants according to my wife ;)

Initially I was intrigue about the fabric type and the old school waxing for waterproofing and thought that this could be a good replacing for my ski pants which are falling apart. They look very sturdy with knee pad reinforcements, and I am quite sure that they are going to last.

I did the waterproofing my self with green wax. Quite an easy process with an iron and an extra piece of fabric to avoid getting the wax into the iron. So far so good in terms of windproof and waterproof, although a heavier layer of wax could have help in -12° C hike this afternoon, hence the con comment. Never mind that Fjall Raven makes a different model that is more suitable for winter, but these pants did the job quite well in the cold Canadian outdoor.  Also I recently washed them so I may have taken some wax off.

I have not hiked in summer yet with this pants but I have the feeling that they will be quite comfortable. The pants dry very fast on their own, 1 to 2 hours after taking them out of the washer; my guess is that under pouring rain they will do fine. When bush waking in the trail today, no problems with branches and bush, the fabric is tough.

The pocket layout is very good, two pockets on the left and one on the right with cellphone sleeve. There are no back pockets but they are not necessary. The pockets are very generous in size: I can fit my wallet and cellphone in one pocket and I still have two more pockets plus the waist pockets.

Fit wise the pants are on the slim side, but after wearing them for a bit there was some give around the crotch area which was a little tight and uncomfortable at the beginning. Did I mention that they come in regular and long fit? But I have to say that I found that the regular fit is a tad smaller than the long fit for the same size.

Some other details that I like: knife/axe pocket, hook at the bottom so you can fix the pants to your boot laces as well as straps with buttons to cinch the sleeve around your ankle. These features work quite well and were the details that convince to buy this pants in the first place. It is hard to find that kind thoughtfulness if at all at that price in any other brand.

I have check some of the other stuff that they make and I am completely sold out with this brand. Have to give it to the Swedes. They can came up with really practical stuff with good quality and build to last! Volvos anyone?

If you get these pants you will not be disappointed. I am actually shopping for a second pair.

Thanks for the review, Luis. Please keep us updated if your opinion changes over time. Now, if I could only learn how you pronounce Fjallraven.

Nice review, Luis! Thanks again. I also hope you'll keep us posted on how these continue to work out for you. I'd also love to see some pictures of these in your review too.

Goose, I'm proud to say I can pronounce Fjallraven correctly when I meet with their reps (thanks to my mother having a Swedish maiden name).

These are the best camping/foraging pants I've found.

Price Paid: $160 CAD

Summary

These are the best camping/foraging pants I've found. They dry fast, and are super durable. They are not super fire resistant though.

Pros

• Smooth glide over logs
  • Block the wind
  • Knee pad sleeves work well

Cons

• Firesteel sparks will put holes in them
  • heavy

These are my go-to pants. I wear them every single time I'm in the woods, whether it's teaching a survival/bushcraft class or foraging for some edibles.

They fit tight on me, but I'm pretty fit so my thighs and glutes are big in comparison to my waist.

I love the length. The tall fits me well at 6'1" and both ankles have adjustability to tighten up.

Water resistance is what you would expect with a waxed poly/cotton, not much. That said, when waxed it dries incredibly fast and I rarely bother to put on my rain pants unless I know I won't have a fire later.

When waxed, they don't breathe that great, so I only wax the butt, knees, and ankle areas. When unwaxed they breathe very well except where you have knee pads, but that's to be expected.

They layer well with a base layer for around camp, but I don't do long hiking with them like this as the size that fits me is too snug and it chafes. I have a pair of overpants to solve this. The next size up I swim in so I didn't bother upsizing.

The pockets are good, though the left leg pockets chafe if you have anything large in them. The axe/saw pocket is fantastic.

They're also mosquito proof which is pretty critical in some areas I visit or I would get eaten alive.

I have had to have repairs made 2x to one of the pockets and was told there was a problem with a run of my particular pants. Fjallraven replaced them after the 2nd repair at my request for the next run that was problem free.

I have worn this pair roughly 200 days in the past two years and other than some holes from firesteel sparks, they are holding up well.

Thanks for sharing a review of your Fjallraven pants, Brady. It would be great to see some pictures of them and how well they've held up.