Fozzils Soloist Set

A lightweight, easy alternative to having nesting…

Summary

A lightweight, easy alternative to having nesting bowls and mugs. I haven't encountered anything negative worth writing down.

Pros

• Cheap
  • Packable
  • Light

Cons

• Non-nesting
  • No case

Whether you are camping alone or with a partner, the Fozzils Soloist Set is a great option for a lightweight eating set. I've used these on half a dozen camping trips, as well as trekked them across Europe and I haven't been let down yet.

Obviously the first thing is has going for it is that you get THREE pieces: a mug, a bowl and a deep dish plate (which I will normally even use as a bowl) for SUPER CHEAP! You can find the set for under $20 at most retailers. So even if you are travelling with someone and you are eating oatmeal, someone can have the bowl and someone can have the plate; however, this does class itself as a "soloist" set so you'll have to share the cup.

Because you can find this set extremely cheap, at first glace you might think that it is flimsy. But, after many uses the creases are still holding up well and they still feel substantial. I'm really not worried about them splitting at all. The snaps to fold and put them together are plastic and I haven't had anything break. Every now and again I'll have to wipe the nooks of the snaps to make sure they can close fully. You don't want to have a snap let go and spill coffee on you!

Just make sure that things are closed and solid before putting any food or liquid in the set. The slight silicone coating on the outer of every piece help you figure which way it should be put together and makes for a nice grip. Every piece is food grade material and is BPA free.

I felt I had to write down a negative in order to have a thorough review; so my "complaint" would be that they don't nest into your cookwear. I don't reaaaallllyyyy find this to be a problem, because when I pack these pieces, I fit them into my hydration sleeve just behind my reservoir. I normally put a small carabiner through each of the holes so I can keep them together.

Weighing in at about 1.4 oz for each piece, it is a nice luxury to have so I don't have to feel like I'm "lugging" anything along and I don't have to eat straight outta the pot, I can pour into my bowl and start making coffee. Even if you carried TWO sets it would be lighter and maybe even more packable than a SeaToSummit Delta or X set.

I don't leave for a camping trip without this set now. Go get one.

fozzils.jpg

Peter1955

You're from New Brunswick. Where can I get one in Canada, other than at your shop?

1 year ago
Kaylee RETAILER

Peter, Depending on where you are in Canada there is a list of all of the retail stores in Canada that carry brands/products from the Canadian Distributor. You can contact any of the shops listed to see if they carry Fozzils. Go to RedPineOutdoor and click "retailers". If you can't find any - gimmie a shout!

1 year ago

Fozzils designed the Soloist Pack for ultralight backpackers and hikers who need a compact and functional eating solution on the trail. This kit takes the folding principles of origami to create the strong and unique thinkFLAT. The cup and bowl snap together when it's time to eat and fold down flat when you hit the trail. The lightweight polypropylene is fully recyclable and durable, and Fozzils also included a folding spoon so you don't have to eat like a caveman, even if you're living like one.

- Backcountry Outlet

Think of the Soloist as the already slim Solo Pack on a diet. Smaller, lighter, integrated packaging with everything you need (ThinkFLAT Cup, Bowl, Spoon) and nothing you don t - for minimalist adventures.

- Altrec Outdoors

Fozzils Soloist Set

The Fozzils Soloist Set is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 8, 2010 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new plate/bowl, check out the best reviewed current models.