8 x 2.7 x 2.9 inches
This thing is a toy at best. I originally loved the…
This thing is a toy at best. I originally loved the idea of a rechargeable lantern in the field. I was disappointed with this unit for the following reasons.
- Poor run time compared to other LED lanterns available.
- Weak light, this thing is not bright.
- The crank recharge system is no where near as efficient as the manufacture claims. On high you get a minute burn time for a minute crank time, yup a 1 to 1. On low (which is night light level) you get about a 3 minute burn time to one minute crank time.
In a 2 man tent it is somewhat usable but I gave this lantern to my kid. There are just some many better products then this.
If you car camp, or need an emergency light for your…
Price Paid: $30
If you car camp, or need an emergency light for your house or car, this is a wonderful lamp and a must buy. The lantern weighs approximately one pound, and is best suited for car camping.
There are two light options on the lantern:
1. The lantern features a series of LEDs pointing upwards towards a diffuser. These LEDs are hooked to an easily adjustable dimmer switch. You can select just the right amount of light for appropriate situations. Note that the amount of light you select will affect the length the battery powering the LEDs will last. However, this is a hand-crank lantern so running out of battery power is not a big deal. At the highest light setting, the lantern casts enough light to fill a small 12 x 12 room indoors and in the wild it casts enough light for a picnic table and its immediate surroundings.
2. The second light option is great. It is a forward facing high powered LED light you can toggle on and off with its' own button. If you are carrying the lantern vertically in your hand, this LED casts its light forward. The output on this LED light is amazing, and is comparable to that of a Petzl ZIPKA at close to full light intensity. It works great for those trips out of the tent in the middle of the night.
This light is most effective when hung above eye level.
1. Plug it in (with the included AC adapter) and charge battery
2. Use hand crank to charge the battery
The Indigo is ideal for everyday use and emergency use indoors and outdoors, featuring a LED cluster and a directional single LED. An articulated handle lets you carry it or hang the lantern as needed. Rubber feet allow for placement on uneven surfaces.
LED Cluster: The 5mm ultra bright LED cluster fully charged will give you 70 hours on night light and about 3 hours on max bright. By way of the dimmer switch you can go to night light to ultra bright. A 60 second wind gives you 3 hours of night light or 6 minutes on max bright.
Single LED: Fully charged gives you 40 hours or a 60 second wind gives you 1 hour.
Here's what other sites are saying:
Great for car camping and emergency preparedness, this versatile Freeplay Indigo lantern never requires batteries! Winner of a 2007 Consumer Electronics Show Innovations Award for superior design. Compact lantern features a cluster of 7 LEDs; dimmer switch lets you adjust from area lighting to nightlight use. Single, side-mounted LED provides flashlight-style directional lighting. Rechargeable NiMH battery powers light cluster up to 70 hrs. in nightlight mode and 2.5 hrs. at maximum brightness. It also charges the directional light up to 70 hrs. But should the NiMH run down while power is out, no problem-simply wind the handle for quick, dependable lighting. 60 sec. of winding powers cluster up to 2 hrs. on nightlight and 2 min. at maximum brightness; powers directional light for 12 min. USB-compatible wall adaptor (sold separately) recharges NiMH battery to 100% capacity in 20 hrs. LEDs are nearly indestructible and provide as much as 100,000 hrs. use. Features a wire-bail handle curved to accommodate fingers; bail also provides a convenient means of hanging lantern.
Description of Freeplay Indigo LanternThe Indigo LED Lantern is the most dependable lantern on the market. It has no bulbs to burn out, nor disposable batteries to replace, and you can power it yourself when needed. With the Indigo, you've got light anytime, anywhere.The Indigo features a cluster of ultra-bright LEDs as the primary light source for space illumination, and also has a single-LED directional light source for use as a reading light or flashlight. In addition to wall recharging ability, you can power it yourself using the trusted Freeplay self-charge technology, so you'll never run out of power. That, combined with the reliability of ultra-bright white LEDs rated for 100,000 hours, makes the Indigo the most dependable lantern on the market. With the peace of mind of never needing to ever replace batteries or bulbs, you'll know that your Indigo will work whenever you need it, anytime, anywhere. Yet you'll have excellent brightness and shine time.Featur
- US Outdoor Store