Frogg Toggs Ultra-Lite2 Rain Suit

Great lightweight rain suit, but material was not…

Great lightweight rain suit, but material was not very durable.

• Inexpensive

• No ventilation ports
  • Material not durable
  • One size fits most

I purchased this set for a Boy Scout camping trip about a year ago. They were 14 dollars at Walmart, which seemed like a good deal. It comes with its own little storage pouch and they fold down really small and lightweight so packing them in a backpack is easy.

The outer material is some sort of plastic like a tyvek suit. It does a good job of keeping the rain off of you, but without any sort of vents built in you quickly start to build up a sweat and end up getting wet anyway.

They do have sizes (Small, Med and Large) but they are designed to fit a wide range of people. As such the Large that I bought had legs that were so long and have no elastic at the bottom I ended up having to cut them to keep them from dragging on the ground.

Here is a picture of the legs after I cut them.

The hood on the jacket is rather large and I had to cinch down the drawstrings a lot just to keep it on my head, which of course had the unintended effect of limiting my vision.

I have used this suit now on several backpacking, camping and fishing trips. After about 5 uses the bottom of the legs were shredded from always stepping on them, there were lots of little tears along the legs where they had caught the brush on a hike.

But the worst issue was that one morning after putting the suit on in my tent and getting up to get out of the tent the seam along the crotch just gave out completely. I repaired the suit with some duck tape and it survived the trip out of the woods, but it is not long for this world.

Here is a picture of the repair.  I used duck tape on the inside but it won't hold forever.

Here is a photo of my younger son wearing his version of the suit while on a hike up Mt. Washington last June.

By the end of the three day trip his suit was in as bad a shape as mine.  I ended up throwing out his pants, the jacket is still good but the pants were shredded at the heels and then his suffered the same catastrophic failure in the crotch.

Here is a photo of my older son on that same hike.  He had the exact same suit as me.

As you can see the hood tends to cover your face and block your vision. A billed hat (baseball) would help with this.

Overall this is a good quick cheap rain suit that will do a decent job at keeping the rain off but in the end you will have to replace it which ultimately means it may be better to just spring for the more expensive more durable suit from the start. If your intention is a single use or for emergency protection that you can leave in your bug-out bag or in your car then this is a good deal.

Thanks for the review, GCap. Any pictures you can share?

I don't have any handy at the moment but I will take a few this weekend and put them online. I STILL have the rainsuit (duck tape and all). ;-)

Thanks for the helpful review, GCap.

I added a few pictures, hope they help.

Thanks for the pictures, GCap.