G3 Onyx

A very capable and reliable BC ski binding, while…

Price Paid: NZ$399.33

Summary

A very capable and reliable BC ski binding, while not in the lightweight league of the Dynafit low-tech does have the massive advantage of being able to be swapped between skis.

Pros

• Swappability between skis
  • Ease of use / reliability

Cons

• Not a light as a Dynafit / Plum tech binding.
  • Tricky to get into in less ideal terrain.

After about eight seasons of using the Fritschi Freerides I splashed out on a new ski set up, moving to the G3 Onxy binding mounted on a set of 2011-12 K2 Hardsides, paired with the 2011 Garmont Radiums and have been using them  for one (southern hemisphere) season 2012.

I now have two set ups — as above for my go-to quiver of one for doing laps on-piste, slack country and backcountry day trips and my old Fischer FX 7.0 for technical ski mountaineering trips.

Living and skiing in NZ means that conditions are you are MUCH more likely to come across 'firm' snow (ie anything up to and including blue ice) than nice dry powder.

While the change from the more tradtional step-in Fritschi to the tech Onyx sysytem took a little while to get used to, over all I have found the G3 Onyx to work very well. While I can't say that I have noticed the supposed effiency gain that is often associated with skinning using a tech binding, the K2 Hardsides are significantly beefier than my old Fischer FX 7.0s!

As for driving the skis on the descent, the ability to drive the skis has been all that I have wanted. I haven't experienced any pre or unitentional releases, even when technical skinning up steep / hard snow without the toe lock engaged.

Changing modes from skinning to skiing is pretty straightforward once you're used to it, although due to the  pressure on the toe clamps, donning skis in either snow or on a less than flat patch on a firm slope can be problematic!

Some small issues / quirks include:

• Snow / ice accumulating under the toe piece (I've since been advised to spray on a little cooking oil to avoid this).
  • The ski brakes do not always self-engage (maybe 5-10 misses out of a 100).
  • The heel risers aren't a high as the highest setting on the Fritschis (but a very minor quibble).

The good:

• I now have two sets of backcountry skis and I only had to buy one binding!
  • They drive the ski better than the Fritschis.
  • Better retention /more reliable release than my Fritschis.

Overall I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend these bindings to anyone looking at a BC setup, especially if they have more than one pair of skis.

Great binding for BC laps and skiing. More intuitive…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

Great binding for BC laps and skiing. More intuitive than Dynafits. Love Dynafits too, but these are tad different.

Pros

• Feel more secure "pushing" the ski
  • Switching from skin to ski mode

Cons

• A tad heavier, but I view it as a better workout

I have the Dynafits and the G3 Onyx. Let me say both setups are great. I love my Dynafits for BC days and touring; however if I'm taking some runs and want to push the ski, I would prefer the G3. G3 is a tad heavier but I love the fact you can switch from skin mode to ski mode without releasing toe piece and vice versa.

While capable of switching to skin to ski mode via ninja pole tricks in Dynafits, switching back to skin mode you have to release the whole boot. Not the case in G3. Found that very useful on a recent hut trip in Colorado.

Feed your need for speed on the uphill, then feed it again after a quick transition to ski mode. The G3 Onyx AT Binding allows smooth power transition from leg to boot to ski for superb control and feel. Revamped and ready to bust out of its cage onto the slopes, the Onyx is lighter, less likely to ditch out unnecessarily, and a generous DIN range lets you find your optimal setting.

Description of G3 Genuine Guide Gear Onyx BindingIf youre a guide in the backcountry, other peoples lives can depend on the gear that you choose. Thats why, in 1995, when G3 started making avalanche probes, they decided to hold every item they made to a higher standard. Will this piece of equipment improve the abilities and safety of professionals who live and work in the backcountry The design of the ONYX binding is focused on the best combination of lightweight, high performance, and usability. We stayed true to our commitment to lightweight by designing an enhanced Tech system toe attachment that provides a rigid and secure boot interface, an easy step-in experience, and a high level of retention. We then added a heel mechanism that shifts fore and aft to allow for an easy switch between ski and tour mode without having to release the boot from the binding. Finally, we added an easy to adjust mounting plate system so that one mount fits multiple boot sizes. Click here for a complete ONYX experience.FeaturesDin Settings 6 - 12Weight 1430g 50ozMaterial Forged aerospace aluminum toe-jaws, chassis and heel-post. Fiber reinforced binding mounting base platesAbility Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, ExpertTerrain Freeride, Touring

- US Outdoor Store

- Teton Village Sports

While the G3 Onyx will not win the ultra-light category, this still very light binding is heavy in features. G3 designed an enhanced Tech system toe attachment that provides a rigid and secure boot interface, an easy step-in experience, and a high level of retention Heel mechanism shifts fore and aft to allow for an easy switch between ski and tour mode without having to release the boot from the binding Three crampon widths available as an option Base mounting plate available separately- buy one binding, and binding can be switched to other skis using mounting plate Adjustable base plate mounting system applied to the toe and heel for quick adjustments, maintenance of boot center mounting and 33 mm of adjustment to fit a wide range of boot sizes Heel elevators are easy to engage using a pole tip

- OMCgear

The ONYX design remains focused on the best combination of lightweight high performance and usability. Our informed commitment to using a tech system toe and heel attachment, immediately gave us a lightweight system. We then took the tech system to the next level by adding much valued usability, including the ability to switch from ski to tour mode on-the-fly, reliable and secure pole actuated high and low heel lifts, and an adjustable base plate mounting system. Next we focused on increased overall skiing performance. By designing a binding that has an impressive level of retention to reduce unwanted pre-release, as well as increased overall rigidity, we completed the ONYX; the best choice in lightweight, high performance AT bindings.

- CampSaver.com